anybody every had a thyroidectomy?

ill be having a thyroidectomy here shortly and i was wondering if anyone had ever had this surgeyr done before. what can i exspect? before and after? does it hurt? how long before you felt better? how longer afterwards untill you could return to normal activities? etc. etc.

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 6:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Health

• I had my Thyroid and ParaThyroid removed in July 2001 due to benign tumors 12 in all. I was given the choice of removing the tumors and have my Thyroid look like Swiss cheese or removing all. I opted for all. In doing so I don't have to have surgery every 5 years to remove more tumors that would with all likelihood grow back. I was in the hospital 3 days until they got my calcium under control then home on the 4th day. Took about a week after that to rest and start getting back to normal life. I am on medication now and will be for the rest of my life. Every year blood tests and tweaking of medicine to make sure it is not too high or too low. I have had no problems. Good Luck.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Why are you having your Thyroid removed?

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I had hyperthyroid that was pretty bad a few times. I opted for medication instead. At the time I was worried about having to take hormones for the rest of my life. It has been just fine for years now after taking meds for a few months back then. But funny thing is I take hormones for menapause symptoms. I do have my blood checked for thyroid occasionally just to be sure it is well. Is surgery your only option?
    Emymom5

Answer by Emymom5 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• after having my 2nd child my son i developed hypo thyroidism. after having my 3rd child i developed graves disease. ive been taking the hype meds but the surgery is my best bet. even with the meds my heart rate still around 100 and drops down to about 40 at night. aslo because of the hyperthyroidism my stomach is producing too much acid and not working properly causeing acid to leak into my body. ive been battling now for 2 years with my throid and its time for it to go. so yes this is whats best for my health. i also have a LARGE and i do mean ARGE goiter in my kneck that is causing pain and discomfort when i swallow. its a scary thought to know ill be laying there while they slice open my kneck but my children need there mommy back. and this si the only way to get me back to where i need to be.
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010