Best way to keep brown sugar soft?

I just threw out 2 hard as rock open boxes of the stuff and am about to open a 3rd which I'd like to keep soft.
Thanks!

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 6:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I keep mine in a zip lock bag. There is also granulated brown sugar, that is the same consistancy of regular sugar and doesnt get hard.
    RyansMommy324

Answer by RyansMommy324 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• We have an air tight container. It goes form the box to the container as soon as I buy it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I heard somewhere when brown sugar gets hard you can put it in the microwave to soften it up it of course it's not too old to start with. Clever trick to revive brown sugar.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I keep mine in a tupperware container; straight from the back to the tupperware, and I also put a piece of bread in there. Sounds silly but it works. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• 10 Ways To Soften Hard Brown Sugar
    It happens to the best of us: rock hard brown sugar. How to soften it? Ten easy tips below:

1.Place the brown sugar in an airtight container with a slice of fresh bread placed on top. Seal an leave overnight. It should be soft and fresh again in the morning, if not just let it sit another day or two.
    2.Sprinkle a few drops of water over the chunk of hardened sugar, place in a plastic bag, seal, and let sit for a couple days.
    3.Place brown sugar in an open container, then top with a moistened cloth (paper towel works too). Let sit overnight.
    4.Place the hardened sugar in an airtight container with a few apple slices. This should soften the sugar within the next day or two. Remove apple slices once sugar is soft again.
    5.Use foil or plastic wrap to cover the top of the sugar. Then set a dampened sheet of paper towel (not dripping wet) on top of the foil. Place in an airtight container
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I always put mine in zip locks....i'm pretty sure when it hits air for long periods it dries it out.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Let sit overnight or a few days as needed. Remove foil and paper towel once the towel is dry and sugar is fresh again.
    6.Buy a clay disc or if you have a pottery piece on hand (from a broken clay pot, etc.), set it in water for about 30 minutes. Dry the piece so it isn’t dripping wet. Put the clay piece in a container with the sugar and seal. Check after a few days. Keep the piece in with your sugar for months if you’d like–will keep it soft.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• 9.Quick Tip #3: Place the brown sugar chunk in a microwave safe plastic bag. Take a square of paper towel and moisten with water (not dripping wet–wring out excess). Place the wet paper towel in the bag with the sugar and seal. Place in the microwave for approximately 20 seconds. If still not soft, microwave for a few seconds more, repeating until the sugar is ready to use. Be careful not to melt the sugar.
    10.Quick Tip #4: Stick chunks of the brown sugar in a food processor or blender and chop/pulse until useable
    Moms_Angels1960

• Put a piece of bread in with the brown sugar and have it in an air container.
    Army108th

Answer by Army108th at 6:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I just put it in an air tight container and add a piece of bread
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2010