What are some good tips for getting into a rental?

My family is going to apply for a 2 bedroom house. We won't actually have the money for it for another two weeks so I am thinking we should wait to apply. Or should we apply now and tell the owner about our situation? We were almost evicted from the place we are in now because the neighbors downstairs were not happy about the noise of a 37 pound two year old running around on their ceiling. But we found out before they gave us any papers so we just gave them a 30 day notice. What should we do about that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would apply first and see if you could work something about when to leave your security deposit.Our last 2 landlords were understanding about how hard it can be to leave such a large chunk of money at 1 time and were willing to work out other options, especially because we have good credit. I wouldn't really offer your new landlord the information about your neighbors not liking the noise.

When they ask you why your moving, I would probably say something to the effect of "I was looking for a place more suitable for small children"
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I do not know of any city that would evict someone for a 37 pound kid running around. Is there another reason?
    Have you always paid on time? Usually when you apply you give a deposit not the full amount. Do you have a deposit?
    Do you have any unlawful detainers on your record? How does your credit look? What references are they asking for?
    Some places do deep credit and rental checks others do not.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• We have never once been late on the rent. The neighbor below us is the manager and she hates us because we call the cops on their drug parties.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 6:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Apply first.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2010