Which is the bigger sin according to the Bible...

overeating, or being gay?

Which is preached about more?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 6:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't think any sins are really worse than others, although if I had to say, I would think it would be sins that come from arrogance or unkindness, if you get what I mean, since most religions call its adherents to love and compassion....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• From my understanding all sins are equal.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have never heard either one preached about in my church very much at all. But in Gods eyes all sins are the same. We humans are the ones who categorize them.
    Anonymous

• Gluttony...yes I get it. Still doesnt make it bigger, just makes it "deadlier"
    Anonymous

• glutany is considered one of the seven deadly sins, but actually the deadly sins werent even talked about in the bible, the seven deadly sins were made up later as a way to say that these were the biggest things that led to deeper sins. In dantes inferno there are levels of hell with punishments for each of them. So this is a debatable topic. There is not that much said about overeating in general in the bible, it is mainly saying that eating isnt going to bring you closer to God, and that your body is a temple. There is some emphisis put on the power of fast though. Then when it comes to homeosexuality, there are very few things said about it as well. But there are things said about it. When it comes down to it though the biggest sins to me are not following the ten commandments, its Gods job to judge who sins and who doesnt, not mine. My job is to treat others kindly, and treat myself like the special person God made
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 7:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Here's a hint... one made the list of seven deadly sins. One didn't.

Yes, but if you look at the history of the seven deadly sins they are not even in the bible. They were written by a monk named Evagrius Ponticus, who had listed eight eviil thoughts, he wrote them in 390 AD. Two centuries later Pope Gregory revised the list and called it the seven deadly sins. So if we are talking about sins according to the bible, gluttany isnt one of them.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 7:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Well lets look at what a majority of christians speak out 'against".....homosexuality. Since they represent god, I'd go with being gay.

Its just a hot button issue for some, doenst make it bigger or worse in Gods eyes.
    Anonymous

• God is Holy and pure. All sin is intolerable to Him. Anyone who thinks that her sin isn't as bad as someone else's had ought to remember that the human race was cast out of Eden for a single act of simple disobedience...one bite of an apple, surely not gluttony, and certainly not for the sin of homosexual relations. That is the real answer here....if you are looking to debate whether or not homosexuality is really a sin, or whether gluttony is really a sin, my answer would be yes, they both are. We are all terrible, horrible sinners, it is my job to account for my own sins, I really don't have the desire or the obligation to judge someone else's sin...and yes EVERYONE is a terrible sinner.
    Zanjea

Answer by Zanjea at 8:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• This statement really bothers me: "Christians represent god." There is a whole lot in this statement that explains the self-righteous need to control that is expressed by some Christians, and I am not talking about a majority, I don't think Christians as a whole are a bad group - I'm talking about the ones who think it's okay to hate and to dictate to others. It is my understanding that Christians are supposed to follow Jesus' teachings... Jesus never claimed to represent God, nor did he pretend that he was better than everyone else. He believed in loving others and helping others regardless of their status, their beliefs, their willingness to follow laws, etc. In fact, I think the Christian texts speak very clearly about no one knowing the mind of God. Then there is the whole thing about not everyone having the same concept of God, etc. ...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Sahmama, give it a rest already. Yes I don't support homosexuality and I believe it to be wrong. However, I tolerate it and teach my family tolerance towards it. God judged Sodom and Gomorrah and its his place to judge gays. It's not my place to punish them so I don't. I'm not out there telling people to kill gays or beat them or torment them. I'm not out there doing any of that either nor do I approve of it since as I said that's Gods job not mine. Stop lumping everyone into one group. By your logic you are against Jews, Christians, and Muslims so you must be the reason why there are people who have assaulted my family for being Muslim. Does that make any sense? No? Well then stop trying to spin it that way. People and Satan put evil and harmful thoughts in peoples heads and people make the choice to act on their thoughts not the Bible or the Torah or the Qur'an.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 1:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2010