Can you adopt if you husband has a felony record? I'll explain.....

Hubby has 3 felonies that are about 10 years old or more...for robbing houses. We hadn't even met when this happened. Bad past, but he's not that person anymore. I know that, but it looks really bad on paper. Would we even be considered as adoptive parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Adoption

• My son's adoption almost wasn't and then delayed by 5+ months because my husband (now my ex) had an arrest for a misdemeanor 7 years prior. The misdemeanor was expunged and we were able to proceed. Just one felony arrest prevents you from being able to adopt internationally. Each state, each agency has different requirements and I HAVE heard of one couple who were able to adopt even though the husband had a felony on his record. They were able to do so by using a private adoption attorney versus an agency.
    Hope this helps!
    BakingMom74

Answer by BakingMom74 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Every person who is seeking adoptive parents for their child or agency looks at every case differently. Your husband probably won't be seen as a standup guy due to his past convictions, but it may be overlooked due to how long ago it was. Each agency, each state in itself has different rules to follow when dealing with a potential parent with a record. You'll have to try in order to know for sure.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Best thing to do is ask.

Answer by louise2 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I would say it will be VERY difficult. I know they do a VERY thorough background check. I guess every state is different but I would guess "no". Just ask because they will find out anyway.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• They will do a very extensive back round check on the both of you, just an FYI.. befre i placed a child for adoption i saw the extensive records on the adoptive parents.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It would be dishonest for you to not reveal the felonies to a mother who might give you her child to adopt. Yes, I agree it would look bad on paper, but, you still need to be truthful. Even if you could find an agency that thinks it is not something to disclose, you really need to do so. I imagine that most agencies might have rules against any felony records, but, I do not know.

A felony offense carries a lot more weight than a misdemeanor, and 3 felonies sounds serious to me. As a birth mother, I would never have considered relinquishing my child to someone convicted of a felony. Sorry!
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 6:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It is certainly possible. Everything is taken on a case-by-case basis and if I were a birth mother, I personally would consider relinquishing to you and your husband even considering the felonies. I think that some mothers would - it may depend on the agency you go through.

Best way to figure it out is to start trying!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:48 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• ask to be sure
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2010