Pitbull/Lab Mix

Hi, we just got a puppy, I think he is about 3 months old, and I think he's a pitbull lab mix. One of my neighbors abandoned him in the cold!

Please don't post anything against pitbulls, I love them , they are great dogs. What I'm wondering is does anyone know the physical characteristics if this particular mix? I'm trying to figure out if I'm right about his breed.

jluvskija

Asked by jluvskija at 11:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Pets

• here is his picture: http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/jluvskija/DSC_0039.jpg

jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 11:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I don't.. I am so sorry.. I have a Cocker.. You can go on Petfinder.com and look at the other dogs and check out the breeds...??? Thats where I got my guy.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• well, the pic is a little blurry, and there isn't any point of reference to see how big he is. my hubby says he looks like he could have st. bernard or rottweiler in him too. his paws look big, but it depends on how fast he grows whether he will be a big guy or not. we have a pit bull, and yours does have a lot of her physical traits. you may have to wait a couple months before you can get a better idea of what he's mixed with. he's awfully cute!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I agree that it looks like there might be some Rottweiler in there.....

I had a St.Bernard / Pitbull mix when i was a kid....and he was fantastic. My little sister could crawl all over his man parts and pull on his ears, and all he ever did was get up and walk away if he was annoyed.

I could see how you might think there might be lab in there, but I am not entirely convinced (My last 3 dogs have all been purebred Black Labs) maybe in a few months when he is older post another pic?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My vet thought our pup was a full pit bull, until she opened her mouth, she has a black spot on the back of her tounge. He decided that she was a pit/lab mix, but is gonna wait until she is at least six months to write it in her chart. Your best bet would be to take the pup to the vet and ask.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• my parents have a pit/lab mix..he's just a large lab, and his head looks slightly boxy like a pit. but i couldnt tell he had pit in him till i was told so and looked for the characteristics..but it also matters how much of what breed is in your dog.. your dog may look more like a pit than lab.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• omg he is so cute !!!!!! i think you are right tho on your guess .. you can take him to the vet they usually can tell .. and again he is soooooooooo cute
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• well you will have to take him to the vet, for shots and dystempter test...they are really good at telling what mix they are. good luck
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 6:44 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• As you already know, it's a mix. Mixes don't have particular characteristics. They have characteristics and traits from 1 or both (or more) purebreds involved in making them. Yours could have the dog agression trait from Pits and the love of retrieving from Labs. He could look like a Pit, a Lab, or both. He will probably weigh about 70 lbs full grown (if he's not full grown already :) ). I belive you'll see more Lab characteristics. I don't think you'll have any dog agression issues, and both breeds are wonderful with families/kids/people. Both are smart and loyal and love being played with. Both are easily trainable. Do you have any pics??? IF you start seeing agression towards other dogs go to a professional trainer and have them give you techniques in order to have him get along easier, but not perfectly, with other dogs.
    Looking2Adopt1

Answer by Looking2Adopt1 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• After seeing that there was a picture, and looking at it, I'd say he looks like a pit/boxer mix.
    Here are some reference pics of each breed as a puppy.
    Boxer - http://christinasolomito.com/files/page0_4.jpg
    Pit - http://nycpuppycare.com/nyc-puppy-blog/uploaded_images/nyc-pit-bull-puppy-733302.jpg
    Lab - http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1013005823012769818MRFZedKnrh

I really don't see any Lab characteristics in him at this point. He looks more like a Pit/Boxer mix or maybe a purebred Pit. Make sure you raise him right and be careful around other dogs. Not saying he will be dog agressive, but it is a Pit trait that can come out.
    Looking2Adopt1

Answer by Looking2Adopt1 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2008