Does anyone else's baby have a hernia?

My 2-month old has a hernia in his belly button. It sticks ouy and makes squishy sounds when you push on it! His doc said it is common and will go away.

rabidbunny

Asked by rabidbunny at 7:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Ha! I just asked about this. My DD is just about 3 and still has hers but it has gotten a little smaller. I was told it should be closed by age 3 but since it wasn't bad we would not talk about correction until she was at least 5.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• One of my son's had one when he was born. It healed in a little over a year.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My middle daughter had one at birth.  Hers finally started to heal when she was around a year old and by 18 months it was fine (although it healed kind of half innie/half outie).  She's almost 8 now and you can't tell there was anything wrong with her as a baby.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My son had one... I put a nickel on his bellybutton, then a bandaid... and just changed it every so often so the bandaid wouldn't stick too hard... it fixed it
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Wow! I didn't know they heal on their own. I had an umbilical hernia as an infant and I had two surgeries to correct it.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I heard the nickel thing works!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:59 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It should heal on its own, but keep an eye on it. I know a little boy who is almost 2 and still has his. I don't know when his parents plan on getting it fixed though.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 2:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My brother had to have his surgically fixed. You might want to get a second opinion on this.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son had inguinal hernias, which were surgically repaired at 3 months. I know umbilical (in the belly button) hernias are different though, and frequently heal on their own. Good luck.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 6:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2010