When is the best time to put your child in preschool? My situation is explained below.

I work full-time and my 2 1/2 year old son goes to daycare. The kids range from two babies to four years old in the at home daycare. He seems like being at the daycare (because he does not want to leave daycare and the kids when I pick him up ), but he every morning before we leave to drop him off he says I do not want to go Ms. Martha today. Is that o.k.
I would like him to go to preschool eventually and meet children from his school district. Some people I know have put their children into preschool at 2 1/2 years old. Since I work full-time, and preschool is only for a few hours, do you think it would be better to have him stay at daycare in the afternoons and go to preschool in the morning, so he has both experiences? Any thoughts, or have any of you gone through this situation? Thanks...

Janette526

Asked by Janette526 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My children did the same thing, they didnt want to go in the morning and didnt want to come home at night.
    I am really lucky b/c my kids went to a preschool/daycare. Morning was preschool and kept them all day when preschool was over. Both of my boys started at 2 1/2 and did fine. Make sure your child can sit for at least 10 min that is one of the requirments. Is your child pottytrained? Some preschools will take them but some wont. Do some research and you will know what is best.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 12:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• every kid is diff. I started my sone in full daycare at 2 1/2 but waited for my daughter until now at 3 1/2. If you feel that he is needing/wanting he extra stim and can work it out then go for it.
    My kids do the I don't wanna in the AM too, but then again don't we all (I dont wanna get up for work either.)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• my 3 year old daughter does to preschool she started last yr on her 3rd b-day she loves it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• It sounds like he really likes the daycare he is at and children don't really need more than a couple of stimulating "focused learning" projects at that age during the day. You can do that at home after you pick him up if you are worried about his scholastics. Simple things like fridge phonics, singing the ABC's, Recognizing letters and numbers 1-10. What he really needs, it sounds like he's getting: ie..social interaction and love and affection from his caregivers. I'd stick with the daycare if the caregiver is really good and go for preschool just one year before starting Kindergarten...age 4. Good Luck!
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2008