When is the best time to put your child in preschool? My situation is explained below.

I work full-time and my 2 1/2 year old son goes to daycare. The kids range from two babies to four years old in the at home daycare. He seems like being at the daycare (because he does not want to leave daycare and the kids when I pick him up ), but he every morning before we leave to drop him off he says I do not want to go Ms. Martha today. Is that o.k.
I would like him to go to preschool eventually and meet children from his school district. Some people I know have put their children into preschool at 2 1/2 years old. Since I work full-time, and preschool is only for a few hours, do you think it would be better to have him stay at daycare in the afternoons and go to preschool in the morning, so he has both experiences? Any thoughts, or have any of you gone through this situation? Thanks...

Janette526

Asked by Janette526 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in General Parenting

• You might try and put him in a bigger daycare then he would have room full of kids his age. As far as school I would just wait until he is old enough for 4 y/o PreK.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• He probably is just starting to realize that he misses you and wants to stay with you. I think that if you put him into preschool when he is going through this, he will have an even harder time with not wanting to go in the morning.
    I run an in-home daycare, and I love it when kids get independent enough to start preschool. As much as I miss them, it's fun to watch them grow and experience new things. But, I don't think a 2 year old is ready. He still needs the the consistency and comfort of where he is...as long as it's a healthy place for him to be.
    All kids go through seperation anxiety from time to time. The best thing to do is make drop-off time as short as possible ~ A quick kiss, hug, and goodbye. He probably settles down as soon as you are gone. Talk to your provider to get her input, if she truly cares about your child, she will give you advice in his best interest.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I was a childcare teacher for 13 years for 4-5 yr olds,here are my thoughts. If your child can be at home with you they should, I am now a stay at home mom and love it!! I know that people have to work and here is what I would tell you to do. In a in home day care the children are exposed to a wide variety of age groups that has its advantages and disadvatages. If I were you I would put your child in a preschool that offers a curriculum, where he/she is learning and NOT spending all day playing! If your child is in a curriculum based preschool they will learn so much more and I promise you as well as your child will be much happier, maybe your child needs to be in a structured enviroment and this place now is not that structured with a varitety of ages roaming around.
    determind

Answer by determind at 2:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008