Does amniotic fluid have a smell?

I am only 22 weeks..but have a bit of watery discharge and it smells faintly sweet. Not foul.

I dont feel any leaks, and no blood or cramps or anything.

Just wondering what it is and why it would smell sweet.

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 7:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yeah I wanna know what you find out!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• yeah i would go get checked out just o be safe
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• idk, i would check with your Dr. .. Extra discharge is normal but better safe and check.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Definitely go get checked out! Amniotic fluid has a sweetish smell. I thought mine kind of smelled like sweet autumn leaves or something lol. It's hard to explain, but my husband and I agreed that it smelled like something sweet and earthy. They can do a simple test at the ER to see if you're leaking fluid.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Called Dr he said as long as I was not cramping and it wasnt very much...( mine is like half dollar size in my panties) to wait till Monday

I have a Dr's appointment anyways.

I THINK maybe its just discharge...but it smells different which was worrisome.
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It's probably just discharge, which it's normal to have more of during pregnancy since you're body's trying to keep the vaginal area more clean to prevent anything "bad" from getting to the cervix or uterus. If the discharge isn't fishy or foul it's normal. And it should be clear to white in color, not yellow, green, or any other color. Don't worry!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 11:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2010