Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my stuff back?

So my husband and I have been legally seperated for over 6 months. I have no money to keep paying a lawyer to get my things back. My ex has some of my items in storage. I have asked. Nothing. How do I go about getting my items back without paying a lawyer. Can I file a police report? I returned all his stuff. It really is petty. Some of those things are dear to me.

Answer Question

Asked by oliviahank at 7:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Relationships

Level 8 (261 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • My dd's x tried to keep her things. She took the police with her to get her things. He doesn't have the right to keep your personal property. Call the police and ask if they will escort you. Since it's in a storage area I'd send your dh a certified letter of a date and time you will be at the storage facility and that you are bringing a police officer with you. If he doesn't show you will charge him with theft.

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • Take him to small claims court. You will probably have to put a cash value on them. Here we have a limit of I believe $8 or $9,000. You can represent yourself. Here it is about $60 to file.
    Wild thought you might write to some of the court shows and ask them to participate. I would never but, it would not cost you anything.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 7:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • I'd go with taking him to small claims court.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 3:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.