DO you smoke and breastfeed?

I hear its better to breastfeed even if you cant quit...oddly enough i quit while i was pregnant but am having a hard time now...how long do you wait to feed after a cigarette? I dont smoke much maybe 3 a day. Anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I smoked and breastfed with my son. He turned out fine.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 7:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It is better to breastfeed and smoke then to formula feed and smoke.
    Definitely do not limit your breasfeeding in order to smoke. Your baby needs your milk more then you need a cigarette. If you cannot stop, them do all your smoking outside and wear a jacket that you can remove and wash your hands after so baby never comes in contact with your second or third hand smoke.

Good Luck with quitting! I know it's hard but it is best for you and baby. Just think, every time you want to buy a pack of smokes put that money in a jar and in a month, see how much you have saved!

Tammy
    ex smoker for 11 years. :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Not trying to pass judgement but that is sooo bad. I am a smoker myself (8 yrs going :() but I wouldn't smoke while I bf'd. The nicotine gets in your milk and the baby will get it in their system. They say if you are going to do it, do it right after you feed and wait atleast an hour.

I also knew a girl who smoked while breastfeeding and her baby always threw up. Like EVERYTIME they fed.. I personally think it was from smoking b/c when she stopped bfing the baby stopped getting sick....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I too quit while pregnant and started up almost the day after I gave birth. Like mentioned by others, I would smoke when I had a good time frame before feeding again. (if you smoke outside, you shouldn't be passing along any addictions to your baby as the nicotine goes through your system VERY fast and very little will be present in your milk, certainly not enough to cause withdrawl symptoms). My daughter had no problems as a baby (she is eight now and smoker does not = indoors she has nooooo respitory or health issues). You are fine, and dont' let any judgemental moms tell you otherwise. I even drank at a wedding I went to, just pump afterwards if you think it is necessary and I DID supplement with formula on these occasions with absolutely NO problems, I nursed for over a year.
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 8:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I quit while I was pregnant, but after about 2 mos PP, it was too much and I started again. yes I bfed and he's fine. I smoked right after he nursed (by then it wasnt constant) so there was usually a few hours before he nursed again.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It IS better to BF than FF, even while smoking, but it's worth trying to quit, of course. If nothing else, to set a better example to your child, who will be watching your every move, ya know?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• No, and I never will
    mommyofsophia

Answer by mommyofsophia at 12:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I'm not a smoker, but I would imagine that it's better if you smoke right after feeding baby... keep up the hard work mama, and good luck with quiting when the times right...
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 6:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• nope, Ive never smoked. :) lucky me!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010