what is the best way to learn to sew?

hairstylist2011

Asked by hairstylist2011 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• They have classes at Jo ann fabric stores. That is how I learned.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 8:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• For me I started with straight stitches. I'm currently making quilts for my daughters for christmas. They are child sized, so its pretty easy. Also, I'm using a standard 6x6 square (ends up being 5x5 once you sew it in). I also have plans to make holiday placemats :D
    If you're talking about sewing using a pattern, I would suggest the "Sew Easy" (so easy :P ) stuff, I've heard its the best for newbies.
    Oh, and youtube is your friend. There are tons of instructional videos on there about sewing, knitting, and everything else!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 8:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I took a class at our local high school.
    crazymomof4787

Answer by crazymomof4787 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Definitely the best way is to take classes, there are some great books, and even videos out there, some good online tutorials as well, but if you are a beginner, it's good to have someone that can really show you, and can see what you're doing while you learn to get you started in the right direction.

Joanne's, Hancock Fabrics, your local dealerships, and your parks and rec or adult ed should have some affordable beginner classes, and join the sewing for beginners group here on cafemom, they have links to some great tutorials,......then, just have fun!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Classes, but if you'd rather not spend the money - search "how to sew" on youtube and you'll find more tutorials and step by step guides than you could ever work through in a year. Best part, you can pause them and rewind as often as you need and work along with them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Straight quilts... then work your way up.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I leanrned through trail and error it was fun and i feel all should learn that way. Also go to the instrutable web site they can teach u for free
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• personally I would look at the book sewing for dummies, I love that book series-
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Pick an easy pattern and follow the instructions. It's how I learned many years ago.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I been directed in the past to look up youtube videos, not for sewing but for others crafts that I do and I don't see why they would not have a video on sewing.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 8:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2010