Has anyone had a water birth?

My husband & I are TTC. I'm very interested in having a water birth? Has anyone had one/know someone who did? My sister in law (who gave birth yesterday) wanted to have one but by the time she got to the hospital she said the contractions were too bad to have the baby naturally (she was dialated 3cm at this point.)

CayShek

Asked by CayShek at 8:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a water birth with my youngest. I LOVED the water, I don't think I'll ever birth on dry land again, lol. My birth story is in a journal post on my page if you're interested in reading it, and feel free to send me a message if you had any questions you wanted answered =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My DIL had her last baby this way (#3) and at home. Absolutely LOVED it and said if she could do it over each of her babies would have been born this way.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have had a couple and attended several as a doula.

It's too bad that your SIL didn't get into the tub because that's the main point: pain-coping help! ;-)
    That and some more coping strategies could have been really helpful-- Did she have a birth doula?

If you are hoping to have a waterbirth then it's great to start thinking about it now. There are plenty of things you can do to prepare. I encourage you to start with reading some natural birth books. Especially Gentle Birth Choices, but also Ina May's Guide To Childbirth, and many more!
    You can start planning asap to interview and hire a great midwife, she will help you with your plans.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I'm having a homebirth in water any day now! =)
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010