How old was your child at their first theme park visit? Would you take a 4 year old?

Mind you she is not 4 yet, turning 4 on Wednesday.
]
My friend invited us to Busch Gardens tomorrow, it's a special treat for her daughter who is turning 4 on Tuesday. (really cool that they are a day apart and best friends of course!)

Anyway, she insisted on picking us up. She wants to stay from about 10-5 or 6. Then go back to her house and have cake and pizza with more friends and family. I've already agreed to go so I have to now, but I'm thinking that's a really long day for a 3 year old (technically they both still are), especially one who has never been to a big, adventure filled place like this before. I should probably insist I take myself incase my daughter gets cranky, then we can leave early and join her for pizza later.

So how old was yours and did they enjoy themselves?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• We just took our 3 year old and 6 year old to Busch Gardens and we were there from 11- 5:30pm. And the kids had a great time.
    ksmootchies

Answer by ksmootchies at 9:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i took my 3...not yet 4 to my county's fair, mine doesnt have any ADD or anything like that but it was his first time on the rides and we stayed there for about 5+ hours riding kiddie rides, he loved it and couldnt get enough. so for me, it turned out good, he was wore out by the end of the day but it was just kind of like a once in a lifetime thing since my mother paid for an all day bracelet, otherwise we wouldnt of gone to the fair at all.

Do bring drinks!! im glad i did!!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Mine were much littler than that and we always stay all day. I expect quite a bit out of them but they have a blast. Before 4 we had been to Busch Gardens a few times and Disney World quite a few times.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• DH and I are theme park junkies, but we've been holding off ever since having kids because it's no fun for them when they're too little. (Nor for mom and dad!) That said, we will be taking our little ones on their first trip in January, when they will be 4 and 2. I think 4 is the perfect age to start doing things like that, because they're old enough to communicate pretty well and to enjoy things more. (We'll have fun even with the 2yo there because we'll take it extra slow as a family, but if it's for birthday party or other purposes I think 4 is the youngest I'd do it.) Hope that helps. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• We took my 3 1/2 year old to Bush Gardens in June and we had a blast!! They have a bunch of rides just for them. Elmo's World is pretty cool too. He was like literally 1 /2 inch to short for a few rides though, so next year (4 yrs old) he will get to ride even more!! :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• We took our 4 year old to Disney, and he got too worn out by the crowds and the newness. 4 should be a perfect age for Disney, and I know now that we should have taken him out in the morning, kept him at the hotel all afternoon with nap and swimming in the pool, then gone out again later on.

Answer by Bmat at 9:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• We took our boys to Disneyland the first time in June. Our oldest is nine and our youngest is 5. They had a riot. They were tall enough to ride everything.
    PrdMilWife

Answer by PrdMilWife at 9:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• We live an hour from Busch Gardens. So we have been a lot with little ones. Busch Gardens is more central when it comes to the kids rides. It is not as intense as Disney.
    We took our three grandchildren to Disney this Labor Day week (3, 5, and 8). We went to three themes in Orlando. Disney World was the big one. We were at Disney from 9:30 until 11:30. Our three year old always has a two hour nap. She made it through and had a fantastic time. She is still screaming with excitement. She did get sassy a couple of times. We had a stroller for her so that she did not have to walk. We had snacks,and partially frozen bottles of water. She fell asleep on the trolly to the car.
    I was worried and we talked about going back to the hotel in the middle of the day. We really did not need to.
    If you are going to the Busch Gardens here in Williamsburg the weather will be fantastic.
    Have fun.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• We took our son to Seaworld for his 2nd birthday. There isn't much for him to do there, except look at the fish/animals lol. But he enjoyed just that. I think 4 is old enough to go to an amusement park that has a kiddie land.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Mine was 6, but there's lots of things for little kids to enjoy at the parks. So pack up what you need for the day, make sure you have a stroller and take lots of breaks to keep you and the little ones happy. Even though the height requirement can limit what you do, it's a great way to pick and chose, and look forward to other things for future trips.
    artC1s

Answer by artC1s at 10:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2010