Has your child ever had nurse maid elbow?

Two of my kids did and after the third time I went to YouTube to figure out how to fix it. I found a simple video and I was able to help her without taking her to Urgent Care.

ChicaThis

Asked by ChicaThis at 9:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Health

• Yes. it is very common in children under the age of five. Mine is a frequent sublux-er. ( When you go to the ER they dub it Elbow Subluxation) If they do it once they will almost always do it again. My four year old has done it ten times in the last four months. ((SIGHS)) If it continues past age five you may need to consult an orthopedic surgeon. I have already simply due to frequency. Fortunately no surgery needed at this time.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• No what is it?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Nurse Maid Elbow is when the elbow slips out of its socket which causes pain and loss of movement and blood circulation. If not corrected it can cause loss of the limb because of no blood circulation. My son and daughter have had their elbows comes out of place.
    ChicaThis

Comment by ChicaThis (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• yes my 4yr old had it when he was about 5 moths old, i didnt know but by the time i got to the hospital i had already fixed it befor even knowing what had happened.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• OMG...NO! Isn't that when someone grabs the kid's arm and pulls the kid so hard that their elbow joint is dislocated?
    WOw. Hell no.....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Well, the first time it happened with my son who was about a year old. My four year old son at the time tried to take him out of his car seat and pulled on his arm wrong. The second and third time happened with my daughter who was under a year old and I was nursing while on my side and I somehow laid on her arm. It was late and I was half asleep so I am not even sure exactly how it happened but remembered her crying. The first time I took her to the ER and the second time I corrected it myself by watching a YouTube video about how to do it.
    ChicaThis

Comment by ChicaThis (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• They thought that happened to me once...turned out I flat out broke my arm at the elbow...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• happened to my son once and I felt sooooo bad b/c I didn't even realize that he was really hurt. At the time he was having a tantrum and he threw himself down while I was holding his hand (trying to cross a 'street' -- parking lot). He went to sleep but was complaining the next day so I thought it was a sprain, put ice on it, had my dad (whose a massage therapist and always been pretty knowledgable about injuries) come over etc.
    It wasn't until I took him to the park and he still didn't play (my mom's suggestion to figuring out if it was serious) that I really figured out something was wrong.
    I felt soooo bad, like the worse mom ever. but the drs. at ER told me it was pretty common and just to watch him b/c it could happen again (hasn't). they known kids to do it to themselves swinging on the monkey bars!!!!
    Totally quick fix and he was 100% -- Mommy was/is still freaked out.
    I'd never heard of such a thing.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My daughter had it yesterday. We were crossing the street and I was holding one hand and her dad had the other. She tried to hang because she wanted us to swing her. She was only holding my finger so I couldn't do it but I think her dad pulled up a little. It was the arm he was holding where she got it. We took her to the ER. When the doctor had me take her shirt off, it popped back in. The last time it happened, it popped back in when I put her in the car seat. If it happens once it's likely to happen again. Maybe next time, I'll look up the video. Save myself the trip to the ER.
    beanerbecky

Answer by beanerbecky at 12:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my son "had" it twice within a couple months whe he was 3....hes 4 now and so far so good.
    leejoy

Answer by leejoy at 12:38 AM on Oct. 27, 2010