Mormon vs. Christianity

Ok so I am just curious and decided to read up on the Mormon faith. Some of it I get and can see how the idea came to be while other ideas seem radical but perhaps that is even how the bible was concluded? What do you all think about the Mormon church and have any of you ever attended?

JuJubean1979

Asked by JuJubean1979 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Mormons ARE Christians but they added some of their own beliefs. My brother and his family re Moromns but I am not. Its too cultish,in my opinion. It all started with Joseph Smith in New York state a few centuries ago , saying he fell asleep inthe woods ,then heard the voice of an angel ,Moroni,and found some golden plates,tablets, whatever with the Book Of Mormon in writing on the plates. It sounds like Joseph Smilth's fantasy. But,I am sure someone else will disagree with me.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes, I was a student at Cornell and a new mother to my first son. Two missionaries came and introduced us to their beliefs. WE attended about 4 times. I have also attended their pageant in upstate New York two times. If you are truly interested, you should contact your local Church of Latter Day Saints and learn more. We did not joint the LDS, but they are good people with strong beliefs.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Thanks tootoo...I find some of the ideas rather neat in a way and my belief is this....why can't others hear angels or so forth like they did in the past? I mean it's possible right?
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I've studied Mormonism quite extensively, and I found a lot of contradictions. It's not a religion I could ever be a part of, but to each their own. I have nothing against Mormons.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I attend almost every Sunday and have for most of my life. : ) We are Christians.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 10:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I've never studied LDS, but I would like to learn more, simply because this keeps coming up... Mormons ARE Christians, just a different kind than most - Even without study I can tell you that much! I've known a few Mormons and I always enjoyed the few times they knocked at my door... But beyond that, I haven't really done my research yet.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Mormon.org is a good place for accurate information.  It is one of the church's websites.  The other is LDS.org.

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Oops. I forgot to link the 2nd one. Here it is: LDS.org

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:43 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• lol thanks :) I didn't know they were considered Christians until I did a little look see at the site. I have heard some argue they are not Christians. I guess I don't get all the branches of Christianity and the beliefs are somewhat similar but different at the same time.
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 2:46 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I am LDS and we are Christians. Jesus name is in the churchs name. We beleive that God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are seperate because obviously when GOd said he was proud of his only begotten son when Jeuss was baptised he was nto talking to himself. We beleive in a modern day prophet because they had them in the olden times and God loves us just as much now as then and wants to send us messages and such today. We beleive in being stewards of the earth. Be beleive that our bodies are temples that GOd gave us and we are to show respect for them by not putting htings in them that are not good for them. We beleive that families cna be together forever. We believe in 3 levels of Heaven because of a passage in Corinthians tha tlks of man that was visiting on the 3ed level of Heaven. Obviously if there were not 2 other levels then how was he on the 3ed?
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2010