Ideas for using up brown rice?

I have multiple bags of uncooked brown rice that are taking up space in my cupboard and I want to start using them up!

Any ideas for casseroles, crockpot recipes, etc? I'm having a hard time coming up with good ideas, and I'm also terrible at how much liquid/cooking time/methods etc to use for casseroles and the like. The rice always seems to come out hard and dry.

Any suggestions appreciated!

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 9:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• With a caserole, I would advise cooking the rice to it first, then adding it. Then it won't dry out. That's what I do. When I cook up rice, I cook a lot at once. Then I make a casserole one day with it, stir fry another day, I usually always make rice pudding...it's basically custard with rice and I add raising a/o craisings. But you can also throw a little in things like meatloaf, the stuffing for stuffed peppers, home made soups. It does stay in the fridge for quite a few days.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• How about rice pudding. YUMMY
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• How about stir fries? Then serve on top of the rice. Also can be added to soups. Cook it in chicken broth instead of water for a soothing meal when sick....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i just made this cheesy wild rice soup one day for my guest and my hubby and guest loved it.

http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--1709/cheesy-wild-rice-soup.asp

there's the recipe hun.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have one. I take chicken breasts, cook them in the crock pot with mushroom soup, then layer it on top of rice. The rice becomes a large portion of the meal, and it's delicious AND easy. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• First, brown rice should be stored in the freezer.
    Second, use a rice cooker; rice comes out perfectly every time.
    We only eat brown rice, and have it at least a couple of times a week: with chili, stir fry, curries, etc.
    Send me a message if you would like some recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 10:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Add it to soups, use it in meatloaf or stuffed peppers, serve it with chili or stir fry.
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/tp/leftoverrice.htm
    artC1s

Answer by artC1s at 10:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Brown rice does NOT have to be stored in the freezer. It doesn't go bad like other foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Love the ideas, ladies, thanks so much!
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Hmmm I never knew it was supposed to be stored in the freezer. Is there any way to tell if it's gone bad?
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2010