Even after all I accomplished, I am still looked down upon.....

I dropped out of school in 11th grade ( I was being harrassed and threatened by an ex boyfriend and the school wouldnt do anything) ... shortly after I met my now husband and had our 1st baby at 18 ( and our 2nd at 21) .... I've always tried to make things nice for our little family... I knew I was a good mom but my inlaws always have made me feel like crap... that I was just some wild child who dropped out of school and purposily got pregnant to trap their son... we met the week after he graduated college .... Even after all of these years they still talk down to me ( even after many talks from my husband)....

BUT it is because of ME that we live in our nice house, that we can do the things that we do... My husband has a Bachelors but is bad with money ( like them) & cant keep a job, I went to school for 8 months and now I have my dream career and make triple what they have, but it is still not enough !!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• You sound awesome and it would be wonderful if they would accept you and respect you but it sounds like you're in one of those situations where nobody will ever be good enough for their son. Don't let your inlaws get you down... sometimes they're just stupid like that. YOU know you're don'g a great job and maybe one day they'll figure that out.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 10:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Sometimes we assume what others percieve. We sometimes expect people to look down upon us for our past choices. Although most times it's not neccisarily what they're actually thinking. Then as well it might not be intended even if they do it. Either way, don't worry about it. You are what you are because of where you've come from and now you're in a better place because of that. Whether they like you or not should have no effect. Be the best mother, wife, friend, and relative you can .. and if they still think low of you .. Screw them!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• In-laws are rarely ever satisfied. I know mine aren't. I have recently decided that I don't care anymore what they think. My husband, my two children and I are extremely happy and that is what really matters. If they choose to act badly toward you, they are probably just taking their personal issues out on you. As long as you and yours are happy and well, don't worry too much about them.
    Stephanie B.

Answer by Stephanie B. at 10:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i almost could of written that myself..almost except for dropping out of school. i dont get along well with SOME of my inlaws but there's a reason why. i got pregnant at 18 and married the father of my child. i always wanted a family but certain inlaws kept me from doing so. i keep wanting to make my family a whole even after 11 years. i also was a good mother and my husband wouldnt have half of his stuff when we were dating if not for me. do you think right now he'd be remodeling a farmhouse if not for me? most likely not.

so basically what your saying is that if me and you didnt make our husband's whole, our husband's wouldnt be where they are at right now. i know your feeling. you do what you can for your family but the inlaws are in denial of anything good that you did for your husband. they rather talk crap.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It's unfortunate when others only see what they want to see. It's probably easier to think of you as a no-good "wild child" than to admit that you've come far (maybe even farther than they have) despite dropping out of school. People are prideful. Especially when someone is younger than them and came from harder circumstances, they don't want to admit that that person is just as successful as they are. I'm sorry. :( Try not to let it get to you...secretly, they are probably in awe of you.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• His parents don't know what they are talking about. You may have quit school, but look how far you have come? You made something of yourself, and you should be very proud of it. Don't let anyone tell you any differently. They don't realize how lucky their son has it because of you. They probably don't know how well you are off and it makes you wonder if your husband has ever told them so.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• They are out of thier minds. Don't let thm get to ya~~
    wowguildmomma

Answer by wowguildmomma at 4:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Take what they say with a grain of salt. YOU know that YOU are providing an amazing family life for YOUR family. YOU know that you're fully capable of doing what's best.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010