Does yoga go against Christianity?

Yoga originated in India. It is a type of stretching exercise that some claim brings physical and mental healing. But some yoga studios claim they don't practice the chanting and practices that are associated with Eastern religions.

Some Christian leaders, have said practicing yoga is incompatible with the teachings of Jesus. The stretching and meditative discipline derived from Eastern religions is not a Christian pathway to God.

One Christian leaders stated, that he objects to "the idea that the body is a vehicle for reaching consciousness with the divine."

What do you think? Are you a Christian and/or do you do yoga?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have 13 years of Christian education and I can tell you with all honestly and authority that you can find a verse in the Bible to justify ANYTHING!
    So Yes, it most certainty does and No, it more certainty does not.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I am a christian and I have participated in several different types of Yoga classes in the past. A few of the types of yoga classes seemed to be more "spiritual" and did cause me to feel "out of place". ~~~ I think it is 100% a personal choice.~~~ Personally, I know that I can pray to my Father without meditating or practicing body poses.
    willsmomma4ever

Answer by willsmomma4ever at 10:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Wow, that's actually a pretty god question for the Christian religion or any other that may feel this way. I would have never thought of Yoga as something negative! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• kundalilni yoga was out of my comfort zone, for sure!
    willsmomma4ever

Answer by willsmomma4ever at 10:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't believe its incompatible at all - our preacher even has us do yoga sometimes, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• LOLOLOLOL no!!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yoga is an exercise and meditation program. The fact that it was developed by Buddhist monks to keep them fit doesn't make it a religious thing. I practiced it when I was much younger and more flexible, and while I was still in the Nazarene church. As in witchcraft, it is how you use it that makes the difference. And, as we all know, if church leaders don't have something to be upset about they will make something up. We had a pastor in the church who had a thing about Smurfs being demonic. How he came to that conclusion--well, brainwashed minds work in strange ways, I guess!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• In my mind, it comes down to personal conviction. If an individual feels wrong about it, then fine. If someone else participates fine.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I dont understand this at all I read about it yesterday and I still dont get it
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Some Christian leaders, have said practicing yoga is incompatible with the teachings of Jesus. The stretching and meditative discipline derived from Eastern religions is not a Christian pathway to God.

This just sounds silly to me. Jesus is the pathway to Heaven not some sort of exercise. My church actually has a yoga class every Monday and Thursday night at 7:30
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010