Do you tend to believe or disbelieve people who make Internet posts announcing bad news? adult content

When I read postings on Internet groups announcing, "I/my DS/DS/DD have cancer" or "My DH/DD/DS just died," I hate to say it, but sometimes I think they're not telling the truth.

We've had situations here at CM where someone WAS lying about their illness or the illness/death of a family member. I *want* to support people when they have bad news, because that is part of the reason social groups like CM exist. But I'm afraid sometimes when I read a post that announces bad news, one of the first thoughts I have is, "Are they telling the truth?"

I am NOT accusing anyone at CM of lying, nor am I thinking of a specific post. I *am* wondering, has anyone has the same thoughts as I have? And how in the world do you distinguish between someone who's lying and someone who's telling the truth on the Internet?

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 10:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• I think you just have to go with your Gut Feeling- If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't! It only happened to me once here on CM-& i have been here for awhile so, i guess i'm not that big of a Sucker!LOL A Mom posted everyday for about 6 months about her son being so sick & then died- After SO Many of us gave her continued support, it was All a Lie:( i think that is the only time i was beyond pissed on here & i really wanted to kick her A$$!LOL!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Sometimes. i know that if my dh died or i found out one of my babies had an illness/disease..i highly doubt id be announcing it on CM. some do to just vent about how upset they are and some because they need support, but me i would just betoo distraught to even think about typing it out on CM.

mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 10:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• People need attention, that's why they are here.
    Honestly, if your child died would the first place you'd think to come be HERE!?!?
    Most of those kinds of posts are for nothing more than attention or people with mental illness.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It's not quite the same but I don't believe all of the posts that people make on my FB page... They over exaggerate things, and it just doesn't seem real... As for on here, I don't do a lot in any groups etc...Only go to the question/answer section..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I MIGHT make a post here, or at certain other groups; but I doubt it would be the very first thing I would think of.
    tinamatt

Comment by tinamatt (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I believe but if the story seems real crazy and wacky then I am like hmm I wonder if this is the real story...Wow daisyb thats a crazy situation!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I agree with the1st poster. If I found out a loved one was dying or I just lost a loved one I would not be on cafemom. I'd be with my family grieving. So when I see posts saying my daughter dies today I'm so destraught I can't help but to think they are lying & begging forattention. I wish I didn't have to think like that but people online make up somuch its crazy. So if I haven't known the person or watched their stories I tend to ignore it.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't believe them. It depends on who it is. I know people who only post doom and gloom all the damn time and most of it is made up. I don't like all the negativity from those people. I think you can get get just as much attention from happy posts! Nobody likes to be around a Negative Nancy day in and day out!!

KittenLangley

Answer by KittenLangley at 11:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2010