How did you potty-train your son?

My son just turned two and I can tell he's been ready for a while to potty-train (letting me know he's gone in his diaper, says he needs to potty or has poohed, etc.). His first time on the potty was 18 months. Then went again for the second time two weeks ago (so six months in between). I'm not really sure exactly what to do but I don't want to push him and make it an unpleasant learning experience (& I'm in no hurry, really). I've been picking the brain of other mommies I know but no one has advised me on anything that is working for him. Any help?

MommaTon

Asked by MommaTon at 2:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would start now. I don't believe in pull-ups for potty training. Get training pants preferably plastic lined and be prepared to professionally clean the carpets in 6 months.
    Set a timer for every 20 mins and get him to walk in and try and go. Praise him for trying and if he does go. A potty chart where he can earn stickers may help. You can eventually spread the times out. Pull-ups are fine for naps and bed time.
    If you wait too long he may not want to potty-train... my son didn't. We got him a peter-potty urinal at 3 and it went much smoother from then on. You can buy them at Walmart.
    Good luck.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 3:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I would agree now is the time. Both of my boys were trained by 2 1/2. Once they start to show an interest you need to get them started. If you wait to long then your window will close and it might take until he is 4 or 5. We did a sticker chart with my oldest and it worked great. Since both of my boys potted trained in the summer i let them go naked in that back yard most days. i know it is different and for me it worked. Good Luck and don't give up. He may have some set backs along the way, just push through them.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• The best advice when I potty trained my boys was to take their pants off and let them run around naked. This works best in the summertime when the weather is warm. We put the potty chair in the living room since our only bathroom is upstairs. Get yourself a big bottle of carpet cleaner!! Once he starts to get the hang of it, get some cotton training pants, not pull-ups from K-mart. Pull-ups are just diapers with elastic in the waist which cost more. Good luck, he'll get it eventually!!

Gosh, I"m glad those days are over for us...
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Hey, Hun! It sounds like he ready for potty training. With Sam, we started way too soon and it was a nightmare! Both Ronnie and I were stressed and Sam was stressed and that's not good! It seemed like it took forever to get him potty trained but that's because we started too soon. With Ronnie, though, we waited until he showed interest and we really took our time with it. We bought the musical potty chair that would play music everytime he would pee and that really encouraged him! Plus we would praise him every time as well! Taking our time and just letting him pretty much lead us made things go alot smoother and he was potty trained in no time!! :)
    SyllyMommy

Answer by SyllyMommy at 5:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• i dont have a son, but i did train my step brother when i was 15 years old. i put froot loops in the toilet and told him to sink them. it worked.
    paige1980

Answer by paige1980 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2008