Do you think it is appropriate to send your kids to school in candidate's t-shirts?

At my kid's public school there are two 10-11yr. olds that continually come to school in Obama t-shirts....I am a McCain supporter and would never consider sending my kid to school in a t-shirt showing that support....where is the level of appropriateness in regards to us as parents and our kids....I hardly believe ANY 10-11yr. old has full knowledge of all the issues in this election and should the schools allow this type of campaigning by innocent kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• No I do not. Schools should not allow this.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• In my area, kids aren't allowed to wear any t-shirts with anything written on it. No matter how harmless even.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I don't believe it should be allowed.... Wow, what if it creates the stir it does here on cafemom?? Poor kids would be killing each other.. sigh...........
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I don't think so either. Not with the craziness on both sides in this election!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• i don't think it really matters.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• That stuff isn't allowed in our schools, period. Shirts can't have any words, can't be the popular Hannah Montana, HSM, any of that stuff (characters like hello kitty, pooh, things like that, are okay - the cartoon-y ones). I do not think it's right to push your opinions on your kids (not you OP, parents in general) by putting shirts like that on them. And I personally doubt it's the kids choice - I doubt 2 kids would willingly wash their clothes often to wear the same shirt over and over and over.
    Anonymous

• Im sorry but I dought you would have posted this if it were McCain t-shirts.
    That said I would not b/c it could cause a stir, but there is a thing called freedom of speech. I think that kids have enough rules pushed down on them without the school saying change your clothes.
    Anonymous

• First of all, I teach 6th grade so I know quite alot about kids this age and their political views. I strongly disagree about them being uninformed. Some of my students know more about how the candidates stand on some issues than many adults I know. I have students who strongly support Obama with good reasons to back up their stance.

Second, as an Obama supporter, I have to say I do agree with you. Teachers and other staff are not permittted to wear any campign apparel at school.  The same rule should be applied to students. Especially because this election is so volatile. Kids shouldn't wear anything to school that is disruptive. I have to tread lightly every day as my students get into political discussions. If the kids wearing the T-Shirts is causing a disruption they should be asked to change them.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• It shouldn't be done.
    Navy_Wife_Tisha

Answer by Navy_Wife_Tisha at 3:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I think it matters because children younger than a young adult's age aren't fully aware of the candidates or their values, policies, beliefs - etc. They are wearing their parents' choice. Nothing wrong with that, except I believe it doesn't belong in school...just like it doesn't belong in the workplace.

I could easily make my background or avatar look like it does here, but know better than to do so. It's just NOT appropriate.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 3:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2008