My daughter has had excema since almost brith. It was only a little spot, and the doctor said to apply Hydrocortison cream on it. Now that shes older and its getting colder it's worse and shes learning to itch it. And the cream doesn't help, anyone dealing with excema? Any suggestions?

Excema with a toddler.

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried Hydrolatum? Here is the website: http://www.hydrolatum.com/
    My son had very bad eczema and I put hydrocortison and then slathered on the Hydrolatum on top. Now that his eczema is under control I just put hydolatum on where his eczema used to flare. I bought mine at CVS behind the counter. Just ask the pharmacist and they will give it to you and mine cost about $10 but it lasts forever! Hope that helps!
    alainamccu

Answer by alainamccu at 2:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Girl.. I had it so bad as a child, my Dr. said I was allergic to my own skin. Of course that was 40 years ago... I personally use all the Aveeno products. It helps soothe my skin because not it is very dry! Also the only thing that helps me is a round of Prednisone...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I've heard the eczema could be a sign of being allergic to something, such as dairy. My aunt had ezcema really bad as a child and takes B- 12 and it's gone away. I used to have ezcema as a kid and found when my immune system is down, that I will get it in spots. I also had to use soap and lotion.for sensitive skin with no fragrances. I would also try to change washer detergents to a free and clear, if you haven't already. Good luck!!!
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Try going to a health food store and getting flax seed oil and give her a teaspoon once a day. I did it with my oldest and it cleared it up.
    lizzy021604

Answer by lizzy021604 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My son has it too, also asthma & allergies. He usually starts getting itchy before any signs of his other problems. We've tried about everything. We now know he also has sensitive skin, so we don't use full strength cortizone unless necessary. We use something in the bath, and then lube him up really well. It seems to help. We couldn't use any Aveeno products, something in them made his skin breakout. We use Gentle Naturals, we've gotten it at walmart, cvs, the supermarket, pretty much everywhere. It is a green bottle with baby pooh bear and piglet. They have a cream too we sometimes put on when we put on PJ's. The bath lotion seems to bring down his problems alot. Once he starts getting itchy, I throw him in the bath. We've tried all kinds of products, but you wont know if they have an allergy to them until you've used them three times. so be sure to watch for that and not to try to many products at once. Good luck!!!!
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• try www.cetaphil.com it works great its the only thing I use try the bath soap and lotion trust me its great
    Anonymous

• My son has it also...in addition to using the creams listed above we also have to be careful, because certain detergents seem to aggravate his-like Tide, for instance.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• They said it all....grease up that skin right after a bath..use allergy free products or things like the emolliant described about. I love Aveeno products the best. Use your steriod cream sparingly but don't be afraid to you a stronger (more potent) cream as needed.Keep the fingernails cut short and be on the alert for secondard skin infections. Avoid things with fragrances like soaps, detergents, dryer sheets on the laundry. Keep a food diary and note what food aggrevate the condition. Most children will outgrow eczema but is a sense it is an inflammation of the skin and runs very high in family that are prone to allegies and asthma. Peace and love...from a mama who knows..
    RN4kids

Answer by RN4kids at 7:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I have had eczema my whole life and my daughter started showing signs of it when she was a newborn. My eczema seems to be in remission, since some point during my pregnancy, and my daughter has been free of eczema, too, for the last 9 months. My daughter's eczema disappeared after we diagnosed her milk allergy and stopped using any bath products with sodium laureth sulfate (SLS). I was already using an eco-friendly laundry detergent and not using any laundry softeners. As a result of my daughter being allergic to milk, I completely cut it from her diet and, because she nurses, mine. I also started her on probiotics. At about the same time, I switched her bath products. Her eczema disappeared shortly thereafter. Now, my daughter is close to turning 2, and I am considering reintroducing dairy products to see what will happen. But, I will never use soap or shampoo with SLS for either of us again.

2grrlz

Answer by 2grrlz at 3:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Aveeno, Eucerin and Lubriderm work the best for me. I have it really bad all over and those all keep it from coming back. Just don't use any soap that is drying to the skin.
    devoll24

Answer by devoll24 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008