can you teach an old dog to like/accept cats?

He has previously been cat aggressive, but he is mellowing in his old age.

blessedwithree

Asked by blessedwithree at 10:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Pets

• Sure , as soon as that cat slaps that dog across the nose he will have all the respect he needs to stay away from that cat. Now if it's the dog chasing the cat, it probably means he was chasing cats(or any small animal) before you ever got him or he started it while you had him and you didn't correct him. That would take professional help to stop.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think it depends on the dog (and the cat). Some dogs are very laid back and would have no problem accepting a cat no matter their age. Other dogs are very set in their ways and lack socialization making new introductions difficult. Some cats don't do well with dogs. I'd be particularly worried about a very old dog that has medical issues such as hearing or vision deficiencies, severe arthritis (or any other painful condition), etc. No matter the situation, if you decide to introduce a cat, do so gradually. If you are able, with your dog that has shown problems in the past, I'd expose him to some friend's cats for short supervised time periods and see how he reacts on several different occasions in different locations at home and away from home before jumping in and getting a permanent addition to your home.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 12:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thanks Tuzyae. Our dog doesn't have any health issues. We already have a cat. We are a segregated family :( cat in, dog out. We put the cat in a room sometimes (and close the door) to let our dog in. I would love it if we could all spend time together. However, I am not willing to take a chance with our cat either. So maybe I will just continue as is.
    blessedwithree

Comment by blessedwithree (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Depends on the dog.... I'm sure it's possible.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010