Would you consider giving away a kidney to a child in need?

In a nearby town, a 6 year old boy is suffering from kidney failure and needs one desperately to survive. I would have no problem giving him one of mine, if I was a match, but because I have a child, it is making me rethink looking into it. I would be worried that if something were to happen to me or go wrong with my only remaining kidney, I wouldn't be able to be helped and might die leaving my son without a mother. So what would you do? Would you even consider it?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Before I had my son, I would have. Now, I don't think I would. At least not while he is still so small. Same as you, I am all about giving to others but my family has to come first and I take that responsibility very seriously. I don't have life insurance and my husband doesn't have the faintest clue how to run our house. And maybe I am a little bit selfish, but I waited until my late 30's to have a child and I am not about to miss watching him grow up.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think I would do it.
    CBMMOM

Answer by CBMMOM at 11:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• of coarse!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• honestly i would give it to any body that is in desparate need of it an i knew that i could help them out...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 11:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• yeah i consider it but i really have to thunk about
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Where I hate to read stories like these, my kids come first. They need my kidney, heart anything,,,they got it. A relative, maybe, if my sis needed help. I would raise awareness regarding this little boy and take up a collection for him. Get as much out to the media regarding his situation and his need for a new kidney, and then I would pray.
    Anonymous

• for some reason i wouldnt mind giving away a kidney or whatever else but if i did die and hope i wouldnt for the life of me because i do have 4 kids, i hope that many would consider me a hero for doing what i did. i would hope that my kids could go on with life without me and eventually be happy again and find peace not hate.....
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I would be completely willing, but I guess it would depend how my DH felt about it before I decided to commit.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• yes of course I would
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• yes I would without though
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2010