Do you think that abortions should be banned before viability?

Now, on Nebraska's books is a law saying that doctors will be charged with a felony if they perform abortions after 20 weeks, since at that stage there is "substantial evidence that an unborn child has the physical structures necessary to experience pain."

In the past, the Supreme Court has only weighed in on the viability issue - that is, when can a fetus survive outside the womb? The fetal pain issue is different because it's now possible the High Court could subscribe to the argument that if a fetus feels pain, that would be justification for banning abortions.

Pro-choice groups have concluded the law is unconstitutional because it bans abortions before fetal viability, which is generally considered to begin at 24 weeks, not 20 weeks like the Nebraska bill.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think abortions should be banned, period. It doesn't matter if the fetus can feel pain or could survive outside the womb or not...IT IS A LIFE. And when you kill a living being, you are comitting murder. Period.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I totally agree with Ash!!!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I think abortion should be banned altogether. I understand that in rare cases, an pregnancy must be terminated to preserve the life of the mother, but that accounts for less than 1% of all abortions performed. 99% are performed strictly because the baby is an inconvenience. When I was 23 weeks preg with baby #4, I was in critical condition due to developing H.E.L.L.P. Syndrome & the only way to save my life was to get the baby out immediately. She was born at 23 weeks & she survived & is a perfectly healthy, thriving 4 yr old. At the time, they thought I was 28 weeks along. Had they known I was only 23 weeks, some Drs would have suggested just terminating the pregnancy in an effort to save my life. I would have died before I allowed that to happen. Abortion has just gotten out of control.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Abortion should be illegal! I seen a video on youtube once and it looked like the fetus was trying to struggle. The woman was in her 1st trimester when she was getting this abortion. They ripped the baby apart limb from limb. It made me sick!
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 12:24 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• OMG an abortion at 5 months?!?! That's terrible!! They should be illegal in the very least after two!!

I am against them all together, it is murder!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:56 AM on Oct. 10, 2010