Please help, no matter what I do my 10.5 mo. old refuses to sleep. Do I let her cry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. It will seem hard now, but if you wait it will only become more difficult. ((hugs))
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 11:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yea I agree with blessedwithree it will seem hard.
    mommyofsophia

Answer by mommyofsophia at 12:01 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Sometimes kids are gassy or a bit hungry. But at times they are overstimulated and a little restless. A warm bath and a bottle of milk is good. spending time outdoors helps them sleep better at night. i got that one from an older woman that raised 13 kids. So i'd spend time outside playing with my children or at times just a stroller ride or bike ride. If at night make sure you cover up the front of the stroller with a blanket so they dont get a chill. Sometimes a car ride allows them to fall asleep. hope this helps.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 12:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Make sure your baby is not getting overtired. Sleep begets sleep so if she's not napping well during the day and not going to bed at a decent time, then it will seem like she's refusing to sleep. I personally don't believe in CIO. There are some great sleep books out there; one of my favorites is the No Cry Sleep Solution.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would suggest talking to the doctor. My sons started with sleeping problems and that one symtom lead to sensory processing disorder. But I would suggest 3 mg melatonin supplement If your child is not hungrey, sick, or overstimulated Our doctor suggested it because melatonin is a hormone naturaly secreated from your bodys glands. It is not habit forming you can get it over the counter next to multivitamins. I started my 9 month old second son on it and now he is a year old and does not need it. The doctor said it was because his mind got into the habit of going to sleep and staying asleep all night. Some one told me it takes 30 days to make or break a habit. Good luck and I hope you have a chance to take naps.
    mom2b4u

Answer by mom2b4u at 12:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Mom2b - Melatonin is great suggestion, nice! :-)
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 12:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It sounds to me like she is overtired and overstimulated. I would put her to bed earlier, but not leave her to cry. I would put the entire house to bed if you can, meaning all television and music off, lights off, make the house quiet, dark, and boring, and let her know that everyone is going to sleep. If you have older children, let them in on the game of pretending to go to sleep and have the baby see this all happening. Stay with her for comfort, even if she cries. I did this with my son at 14 months and it worked like a charm. He was overtired but also didn't want to miss any of the fun. Once he realized there was nothing fun happening and everyone was going to sleep, the bedtime routine was a lot easier. We also moved his bedtime up from about 8:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. and put him down before he showed signs of being tired. Good luck.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 12:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thankyou...jjust to give a little more backround...once she cooperates she sleeps 11 to 12 hours a night...but I can't seem to get her to go to sleep before 12 am these days..lights out, house quiet...her new routine is to fight it for an hour and a half no matter what I do. She took two 1 hour naps today, and woke up this morning at 11 AM...she only falls asleep in her swing..that's where she is now, and every night I have transfer her to her crib (PEACEFULLY in about an hour....she will wake to a bottle aroound 8 and go back to sleep at t 11am ..Question :she should be tired by at least nine thirty??? ...please advise.
    rOEY802

Answer by rOEY802 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• well my dd would only sleep in my bed at that age so what i did was i would sleep her in my bed and then transfer her to the crib. but that got old real quick because she would wake up and i had to start all over so i did the cio. and i would know what was real screaming and little whimpers and it was EXTREMELY difficult to hear her cry but it worked beautifully because now she goes to sleep with no problem. but someone else suggest warm milk and a bath that is usually the nighttime routine around here anyways. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Diaper change, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. Leave room and shut door. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. I know there are a lot of moms who will disagree with this method but it is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2010