As a Christian, should we celebrate Halloween and go trick or treating?

Should we or shouldnt we? Think about it. How many chances do you get to mix with our neighbors during the year? Isn’t it time to turn loose a few of those little Moses and Davids into your community?

Imagine the shock when an Angel instead of a devil greets the nice lady down the block. A child who says "please", "thank you" and yes, even "Jesus loves you" and "God bless you" as they receive their mini-Snickers or Candy corn. What about us instead of slamming our doors and stating that we dont believe in Halloween we give the kids that come to your door the best candy treat on the entire block along with that tract. Some of you give six years olds a little "be warm and filled" treatment every Halloween.

I mean Jesus came to serve the sick and broken. He loved being at the well, by the sea, and in the marketplace. He would never have said "run and hide, its HALLOWEEN!"

What do you think, should we celebrate it?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't see any reason why we shouldn't ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• LET'S CELEBRATE!! I totally agree with you!
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 11:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I am a Christian and so is my entire family, and we have never even thought about not celebrating Halloween. I don't associate Halloween with being an "evil" holiday or a time that spirits and ghosts appear or whatever. Halloween to me is 1 night of the year where children can pretend to be whatever their little hearts desire, and can get free candy as a friendly gesture, from their neighbors and friends.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I am a christian and we choose to celebrate the evening very low-key. we do not focus on scary stuff and evil.... we just dress up for fun (my son dresses up as a super hero any day of the week.....LOL) and see a few family members and get candy. Also, we love to hang out at church Fall Festivals instead.
    willsmomma4ever

Answer by willsmomma4ever at 11:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Thats a really good question, I am a christian myself and I've wondered the same thing. When I was a kid 6-10 year old I did Halloween. Then after that year my family became christians then we stopped. My girlfriends don't celebrate it. I have a 7 month old and I want her to excperience it but I'm not all that sure, again great question. My answer: If your serious about Christianity like I am you shouldn't but I guess its your choice.
    mommyofsophia

Answer by mommyofsophia at 11:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• We dress up and go to a church function and to family
    greenbeanmoma

Answer by greenbeanmoma at 12:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• mommyofsophia... are you serious about the line of "If your serious about Christianity like I am you shouldn't but I guess its your choice."? Or am I just taking that the wrong way? It really sounds VERY unchristian like. You know that whole "im better than you" thing they try to avoid
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 12:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We are Christian. We do not celebrate Halloween. But that is our choice as a family. For the same reason we do not celebrate Christmas or Easter (the root of the beginnings). Again... a choice as a family. We also don't eat pork. Again not a decision as a church, but just as a family.

We do not tell anyone else how to follow or not follow their convictions. That is up to you and your family.

:-)
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 12:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• For the people who think that halloween is the day of the devil...thats not it....its just a new year....It is called Samhain and it is the pegan new year...So dress up and have fun.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I didn’t take it that way Seturkey.. But thanks. I too was a little nervous. But if we did walk about as biblical people and/or give out tracts with candy attached isn’t that a way to evangelize?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2010