What age do you stop breast feeding for the baby?

mommyofsophia

Asked by mommyofsophia at 11:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the Pedieatric association says that it is best for the first year...after that it is no longer needed because they are eating reuglar food
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I stopped at 12 months simply to save my sanity. Some people stop earlier some later. The website I just read suggests that breast feeding at least 6 months is best.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i personally would stop at 1 year. but you can stop whenever you and your baby feel comfortable.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I just stopped breastfeeding my son last week. He is 14 months old. The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding until the age of 2, but I think most people stop around 1 or 1 1/2 years. I basically let me son dictate when he wanted to stop. Recently he seemed to be less interested in it (he was down to only nursing at nap time and bed time) and so I just didn't even attempt to feed him before putting him to sleep and he was fine! That's how I knew he was ready to stop. I think its completely up to you and baby when you feel like its time to stop.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• age 2. it beneficial for both mom and baby
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Right now I plan to breastfeed my daughter until she is a year old. She's currently 8 months old and is still nursing 4 time a day on the days that I work and 6-7 times a day on the weekends.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The AAP recommends to BF exclusively for the first 6 mo, then for AT LEAST until 12 mo. but as long after as mom and baby enjoy. The World Health Organization recommends exclusively for the first 6 mo. and then AT LEAST until the age of 2 years, but for as long after as the mom and baby enjoy. There are a lot of benefits to breast feeding beyond the first year of life. Check out www.breastmilkcounts.com and www.kellymom.com for more info.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 12:08 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• 1 year minimum (1st 6 months to help build immunity, 2nd 6mos health with cognitive development)
    2 years to reap all benefits (basically cognitive)
    after that I think is just for comfort
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:12 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Personally, I think as long as you want to breastfeed is great. I will wean at 1 year. I planned initially to start the weaning process at 6 months, but my daughter has a very sensitive tummy and formula would just make it worse.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We have a 2 year minimum. I think the first two years are the most important, but that it's beneficial for as long as you want to continue after that. My first weaned at 30 months and my second is 18 months and there's no weaning in sight for us! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:49 AM on Oct. 10, 2010