How young is too young to teach sex ed?

A school district in Montana is proposing new graphic sex education curriculum for students as young as five years old.

The proposal lays out what students should be taught in each grade level starting with kindergarten.

■At that age, kids will learn about reproductive body parts including their scientific names.
■In first grade, they will be taught that a person can love someone of the same gender.
■In fifth grade, kids will learn about different kinds of intercourse and a more in-depth look at sexual orientation.
■In high school, they will be taught that erotic images in "art" help people understand sexuality.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yikes! I am uncomfortable with all of this!
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 12:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Just one more way Government is trying to step in where they don't belong. It makes me too angry to even reply with more than that.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yeah... I don't want the school system instructing my 6 year old on that. Sorry. That is my place and I wil discuss it as she is ready.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 12:08 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i dont think their is a specific age thats too yound with all that these tv shows a putting out now..i had to start taling to mine as early as 2_3 yrs old cuz they started asking questions..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:11 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• wow that is all i have to say to that
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• This is a lot of why we home school. We start talking our children about life issues from the time they are babies, but we do it according to our beliefs & morals & age appropriateness. The government has gone way too far in their efforts to indoctrinate our country's children & parents need to wake up & take the control back.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yea, I don't EVEN think so. I am teaching my children when I think they are ready. I don't think 6 year old needs to be worried about boy/boy girl/girl girl/boy relationships nor do they need to be worried about sex. My 8 year old is happy as long as he has a skateboard in his hand or under his feet.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• In our household, nothing is of limits to discuss. It is an ongoing conversation starting from birth. Someone needs to talk to this kids b/c a lot of parents are not. My son at 3 years old knows the difference in boys/girls, he uses correct terms in body parts, and we do not giggle when we talk about a penis and vagina.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• mama2000- have you seen the number of teenage pregnancies? Parents obviously aren't doing their job educating their children about sex... is the government spoused to just sit back and then pay for all the girls ending up on welfare?

***

This is a bit much IMO. Kindergarden and 1st grade = TOO YOUNG. I also don't agree with them teaching someone's kids "they love someone of the same gender" what about their familes own beliefs? I think at that age they also won't really understand what that means... I'm glad I don't live in Montana!!

My 3 1/2 year old knows boys have a penis a girls a susie and that they are different but that's all he needs to know right now!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• 'have you seen the number of teenage pregnancies? Parents obviously aren't doing their job educating their children about sex... is the government spoused to just sit back and then pay for all the girls ending up on welfare?'

Sadly, knowledge of how to become pregnant is not enough to keep young women from getting pregnant. :(
    Just because some parents do not educate their children, doesn't mean the gov't needs to step in for/ahead of all of us.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2010