Calling all day care workers.

I have been a stay at home mom for the past year and a half and I am about to rejoin the work force. :D I was talking to some friends who have worked in child care centers and they have advice me to stay away from them or to only work with babies. What are some of your horror stories in child care centers?

ednaamelia

Asked by ednaamelia at 12:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I worked at an in home daycare although it should have been licensed as a center. The woman who owned it basically turned an entire house (knocked down walls and everything) into a daycare center besides one back bedroom so she could pretend like she lived there. In reality, she lived in the house next door. Besides the fact that it was illegal, it was a great daycare. (all of the parents were aware, just not the state) I loved working there and I dont have any horror stories. I dont know why your friends would tell you that. I was mainly the preschool teacher although I covered all rooms at one point. I did it for 5 years. There are heartbreaks but for those kids whose parents just arent all they should be, you shower them with extra love and attention while they are at daycare and gain their trust so you can take appropriate steps if you ever feel they are in real danger.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:31 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• ive been in child care for going on 7 years and babysitting since i was 12 lol. up until 3 years ago i worked in an actual daycare (i now watch kids at home). We had a trio that gave us so much trouble that i wanted to scream some days. 2 were twins and one was their friend. it was rough but i love childcare regardless. the babies were my fave.
    ttfnt20

Answer by ttfnt20 at 12:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• if you love children dont let anyone scare you away from it, its just like any other job has its ups and downs, but its sooo worth it to have the kids hug you and say they are happy to see you everyday. i have also worked with all age groups and never regretted my decision to leave walmart for daycares.
    ttfnt20

Answer by ttfnt20 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree....there are MORE ups than there are downs. Sure you get the occasional issues with the toddlers, like bitin-- hair pulling and its tough to be quicker than they are but if you are all sitting in a circle and reading you can pretty much catch things before they happen.

Where else can you sing and dance and get all happy and not look silly!! I worked with the 1-3 yr olds to just 3-5 year olds and babies. I admit...babies are my fave too. Alot of times workers have their "fave" kid(s) and you can tell.....I say give them all the special love you can give as their teacher!

I had one boy whom ALWAYS took his shoes off and he'd run to the fence, where a ditch was on the other side, always with water... I'd say.."get away from the fence, there could be a snake in that grass". He said to me,"No there's NOT!! Snakes are ONLY in the Jungle Book Miss Lily!" KIDS!

You'll love it and have stories as well to tell! LOL
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 1:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• each day brings its own story happy daycare hunting all them not bad
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010