Do you think that Harry Potter promotes the Wiccan religion? Has your child read the books?

The Harry Potter (HP) books, probably the best-known books on Witchcraft, have cast a spell on children. The Potter books fly off the shelves like broomsticks and have made the author, J.K. Rowling, a gazillionaire. Young and old alike read the books and flock to theaters to see the HP movies. And of course parents rush to stores to purchase all the latest HP collectables for their youngsters. Not surprisingly kids dress up like the Potter characters on Halloween. It seems everyone’s wild about Harry. Rowling is masterful at promoting the idea that Harry and his friends are “good” wizards and witches who battle the forces of evil. As a result of HP’s popularity, youngsters are enchanted by Witchcraft and all things pagan.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Its just a story. I dont think that it promotes a religion at all. That is like saying that those cute little witch costumes they have for little girls promots witchcraft. Its just a costume. Just like how this is just a book.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:26 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Really? Are you kidding? It is a book. I encourage my children's imaginations. Do Disney movies encourage children to believe in fairy godmothers, and talking fish? No. It just a book, it's not real. It's ok. . . pretend. Imaginations are healthy, let your kids use theirs.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 12:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• In your opinion....not so much in mine. I thank goodness for J.K. Rowling and her Harry Potter books. My kids turned out to be such amazing readers because of that era. Nope, no witchcraft going on in this house....But I have been to a Borders store at midnight and wanted to grab a broomstick and fly away....lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• No, I think if anything they promote misconceptions and myths about witches. That said, my kids aren't old enough to read them (they can't read yet) but when they are they are free to read them any time they choose. They've seen the movies as well... Being a Pagan Witch, I guess I would see no issue with promoting witchcraft... However, my DH who is Christian, is also a HUGE Harry Potter fan... So there isn't conflict there either...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• "probably the best-known books on Witchcraft"

sorry stopped reading there cause i couldnt stop laughing! that phrase makes HP sound like a guidebook on how to be a witch...i can just see Wiccans lining up to buy the book so they can better understand their craft haha. like HP has something important to teach them.

so no, i dont think HP promotes the Wiccan religion anymore than the LOTR promotes throwing things into volcanoes to rid them of evil or the Matrix promotes taking pills from strangers. my DD cant read yet (shes 2) but i plan on us reading them together when she gets to be the right age. if the books have the same morally upstanding lessons as the movies i know it will be to her benefit to read the books.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I don't believe so at all. Just because it shows magic doesn't mean it touches on Wicca - it especially doesn't mean that it conveys the Wiccan faith accurately.... Its a work of fiction, and magic =/= Wicca, although Wiccans can believe in magic. Its like a square can be a rectangle, but that doesn't mean a rectangle is a square.... ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:18 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Harry Potter books to be just open up the imaginations so much. I mean come on who doesn't wish the could fly or that they could blow up an annoying aunt/ teacher/ bully. It is no more harmful or evil than letting your kid run around with a towel pretending to be superman. All these books are is a great story about how good triumphs evil.
    wowguildmomma

Answer by wowguildmomma at 2:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• As a Pagan Witch I can honestly say that HP books and movies do nothing to promote Wicca at all. HP books are nothing more than entertainment.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:18 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It's a story and she is a very good writer. It got both my girls reading all the time, they have read all the books and seen all the movies. It's actually a story of good vs evil, as many great novels are. And no I don't think it promotes the Wiccan religion. It's a fantasy children's book which adults happen to like too. I've read them all and seen all the movies. It's just fun,why does anyone have to turn into something terrible. Btw I don't know what would be so awful if it did promote Wiccan beliefs, who cares? Are children to be limited in what they read so they only learn one view of the world and not many views? That is pretty sad.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:49 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• WOW!  JK Rowling is encouraging youngsters to READ!   WE MUST STOP THE MADNESS!

eye rolling

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2010