Why is the Narnia series acceptable, but Harry Potter isn't?

As a spinoff from another post . . (I didn't want to hijack)

blessedwithree

Asked by blessedwithree at 12:31 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• One thing that I've heard is that the Narnia series is really Christian, just disguised to suit children's minds. The people I've heard this from basically said that it's Christian because it represents the battle between good and evil. Ok, well if that makes a book Christian, then the Harry Potter books are Christian also. I really never understood why those books and movies are more acceptable than the Harry Potter books, either.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You want my honest opinion? Witches are still seen as evil, no matter how they are portrayed in the media, people hear witch and take a huge leap to devil worshiper... So when Narnia shows a witch as evil, it fits in with everything they want to hear... When HP says there can be good peaceable witches, people jump to defend their arrogant beliefs - even if those beliefs aren't being attacked... Believe it or not, there was a rather large population which boycotted The Wizard Of Oz for similar reasons when it came out... The idea of Glenda being a Witch simply offended their beliefs about what witches were and what they stood for, so rather than accept fiction for fiction, they preferred make a stink...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• just wanted to add that JK Rowling is a Christian, too...so CS Lewis doesnt have the market on that.

i think Sabrina makes perfect sense...witches are "evil" so they have to always be shown in a negative light lest the devil come thru the literature and attack good Christian children's innocent hearts (FYI thats sarcasm).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:34 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• C.S. Lewis is a Christian author who writes Christian themes into the Narnia books.

I must say though most Christians I know accept the Harry Potter books for what they are... entertaining books that brought probably a whole generation of children to accept and enjoy reading.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 12:45 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• "CS Lewis was atheist and became a believer before he died, though,yes? "

He became an atheist in his teens, but found his way back to faith waaaaaay before he died. He spent the rest of his life as an Apologist, writing many Christian works. He was an Anglican. Neat fact - it was his friendship with Tolkien that helped him rediscover his faith.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I've actually heard a lot of people say that the Narnia books promote Christianity. And I know there are Sunday Schools and similar Christian classes which have used them... I personally, have never seen them as religiously bound in any direction. They are simply fantasy... No more or less religiously tied than any other series. I think while HP is also pure fiction, it also does bring up issues about Witches and Magic, which many Christians see as a direct link to evil...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:45 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Aslan created a world from a void... it is perfect and clean where every creature gets along... then the white witch comes and destoyes that... he humiliated and died to save edmund... He gave his breath to his worriers...

There is so many. I think I want to read those again tomorrow lol.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 1:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I wasn't saying C.S. Lewis is Christian I was saying he was a Christian Author. I mean come on he wrote the Screwtape Letters!
    (I enjoyed the use of the sarcasm! it was super)
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 1:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Well, I don't think anything's wrong with HP, but the author of the Narnia series was a devout Christian Apologist who put Christian themes and subtleties into the books - the character Aslan, he said, was one he hoped people would love, which he hoped would lead people to love He who Aslan represents.

(I did a paper on this in high school, the intentional Christian themes in the series, the Christian things he meant to be present in the books - the Christian messages aren't just something people try to find, they're something that he absolutely intended to be there)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:08 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• LOL good call blessedwithree!
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 2:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2010