Is it still possible to have a healthy baby if the father is a member of the same bloodline?

I'm preg and I'm pretty sure it's from close relation. I know I f***ed up, but I need to know if my baby can still be born healthy.

CassyM

Asked by CassyM at 2:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• how close?
    Anonymous

• We dont know ....unles you tell us how close in realtion your talking about doll
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 2:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• You've asked so many questions about this topic, but we still haven't found out how close your relation is to the father. We can't really answer any of your questions truthfully if we don't know how close the relation is.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Yes, it is possible. Some good questions to ask here would be how close of a relation (sibling? parent? or farther out, like a cousin?), and whether there are any known genetic conditions/diseases in your family. Another good question to ask here is are you okay? Because incest often goes hand in hand with some kind of abuse, and even when there is no abuse involved, the fallout from incestuous relationships can be terrible. So, are you okay?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I wanted to add, you might ask your doctor/midwife for a referral to a genetic counselor. That way you could spend an hour or so sitting down with an expert and going over all the specifics of your situation, and then you'll know all about any potential risks or concerns. It would probably put your mind at ease to get that kind of expert information.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• eww.. yeah its possible for the baby to be healthy but still a lil eww
    Anonymous

• if its a cousen i think your n the clear i mean like a hundred years ago ppl married their cousens...lol so i guess if that were the case itd b ok any closer and id b looking into counseling and genetic testing :)
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 3:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I don't know why everyone needs to be so rude! You are not asking if you should do this, you said you knew you messed up and now you need info. Unfortunately, you can't take back what happened. But, now there is a precious, innocent little baby to worry about! ~
    ~ You need to do some research, and talk with a doctor if you feel confortable enough to, but the baby will probably not be born with any birth defects. But...there is alot more to think about with a situation like this. Mostly, the emotional aspects of it for you, and what kind of environment will you be bringing this baby into? Is there someone to help you? Lots of questions!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• If it really is your brother's kid. It might not have problem but, it most likely will. 50/50 chance. What on earth are you going to tell the baby about its father? I feel very sorry for your baby and your family. I really hope you can live with yourself. Good luck...
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Back in the older days...16th century-ish... the royal families were ONLY allowed to marry and have children with first cousins, daughters, sons, etc.

They did this to guarantee that they kept their royal blood pure...it's the same with breeding pure-bred animals. They only breed them with their mother dogs and sisters and brothers to keep the breed pure.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2008