Are you afraid for your kids?

Just reading some of the news stories lately, I'm terrified for my daughter (17 months old) to grow up in this world.
There's so much hate and intolerance, and so many high school kids have taken their own lives due to being bullied and ridiculed! I was bullied in elementary school and some in junior high, but it never got so bad that I wanted to take my own life. I can't imagine how their parents feel; I can't imagine how the parents of the bullies feel knowing they raised their children to think it's okay to bully and ridicule others.

What are you doing for your children to make them strong enough to survive high school? If your kids are being bullied, how do they handle it?

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:39 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I killed my TV and suddenly became a lot less scared of the world and worried about what the news stations were trying to sell me. The world is not getting scarier, we're just getting more scared.
    unspecified42

Answer by unspecified42 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Lol, if I watched the news on TV as well as read the news, I'd wrap my entire house in bubble wrap and never let anyone come in or leave!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Comment by SarahLeeMorgan (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• the world today has so much news swirling around and 95% is the worst most shocking things they can find. look for the good. stop viewing all the bad junk. Enjoy your child and make plans for the next few yrs with what you are going to do as she grow. You can't plan for high school yet. if you need to home school. there are tons of activities they can be in and friends to meet.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It makes me nerves to have my kids grow up but I will be here to protect them as much as I can.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i'm not scared but i just makes me prepared on how to raise him... our jobs as perents are to do the best we can and make sure that they go out in this world with there heads held up high... if i ever get scared it just showing my child to be scared to and that is the last thing i'd want for my child.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:50 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• NO, not at all. If anything I feel like they are blessed to be in this world. It's so much better than it was 20, 30 or 50 years ago, and don't get me started on 100 years back... Sure things still aren't perfect, but they are FAR from worse... If anything they are better...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:49 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You prepare them by setting standards and boundaries. Teaching them right from wrong. About making choices and their consequences. You teach them about faith, love, and truth. Give them examples, showing both sides. Example: Truth = trust. Lying = mistrust. Friends: Positive ones bring out the best in you while negative ones get you into trouble you can't get out of... If you have a support system set in place. Letting them know you may not always agree with them, but willing to listen. What are the possitive things to look for in others. What are the red flags.  Like if they are always telling you what to do, or controlling you, its a red flag. Hope this helps give you a few ideas...

Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 4:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The thing about bullies, is if they know your are scared. If they know they can boss you around. Send them to a self defensive course or get a DVD and learn it together. Also, take an anger management course. It willl show you how to teach them to defuse a situation just by the words they use with the bully. I'm not saying this works every time. But ususally these kids are hurting inside and are being abused at home. Knowing that helps not becoming defensive when they say things to get a reaction. They can learn some key words to be encouraging to the bully....Hope this helps.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 4:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• no way! I am in charge of them and the fact is I can raise them to be the best they can be, and only hope they follow that in the future, no offence, but this is that over protective sheltering, hovering, over freaked out thing I am always talking about, if you act like that they will grow up scared and that is how you get agorraphobics!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2010