Does a dog actually have contractions when they are in labor?

I've got a dog who's about to burst at the seams she's so pregnant and well its not the first time I've had a dog thats pregnant so I was just wondering if anyone knows if a dog has contractions like we do?

s_r_d3

Asked by s_r_d3 at 3:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Pets

• i did some research this is what i found

Stage One of Labor:
    During the first stage of labor the cervix begins to dilate and uterine contractions begin. These contractions are painful and perplexing to the dog. She will appear quite uncomfortable and restless - pacing, shivering and panting. She probably will not eat and she may even vomit. Some dogs whine persistently. Others occupy themselves building a nest. Uterine contractions, although occurring, are not as easy to see as in humans. This is the longest stage of labor. It generally lasts six to eighteen hours. By the end of this period the dog’s cervix will have completely dilated for the puppies to pass. During this period keep the mother’s environment quiet and calm. I usually shut them off in a darkened area such as the bathroom.
    t_cutie_07

Answer by t_cutie_07 at 4:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Working in a vet the most common problem is the owner disrupting the process. The female will more than likely pant and have contractions vomit and shiver. The puppy will be expelled if the mother does not start to lick or bite youre going to have to step in because the puppy can suffocate. It will take a long time for hard labor like at least 45 mins then another 30 to actually push out. You need to take to the vet if 30-60 mins the no pup as come out. If she collapses or a puppy has not fully come out with in that hour.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Mine did. I watched her tummy tighten and loosen and she cried when it would happen. Then she'd push and out came a pup. Actually both of my dogs that I bred did.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 11:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Yes !!
    Mel

Answer by Mel at 12:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Yes, they do. I was a vet tech for years. Seen MANY animal births, and they all had contractions
    ph0xdlady

Answer by ph0xdlady at 4:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• All mammals do.
    pdxmilf

Answer by pdxmilf at 1:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• yes they do. I had to take my dog to the vet recently and they had to give her (Poticin) i dont know how to spell that, but they gave her like 3 shots to speed up the contractions.
    Tamara_Fisher

Answer by Tamara_Fisher at 4:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Thanks ladies! I tried to feel for contractions last night on her while she was in labor but I didnt feel any oh well lol. She gave birth to 6 healthy puppies.
    s_r_d3

Answer by s_r_d3 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• congrats on the puppies, glad all are healthy.
    JafraMom

Answer by JafraMom at 1:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2008