How does your child school handle religous holidays?

seturkey

Asked by seturkey at 12:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am pushing for our schools to start teaching things like that. Most the teachers put on Santa and Christmas trees, but never acknowledge that there are other holidays at all. The "Winter Ball" has a HUGE Christmas tree and everyone gets their picture with Santa. But again, there is no mention of anything else. Being my children get something other than Christmas (although they get that too) it would be nice to at least see other paths mentioned... We have children from all paths here - even though they are few, and I don't understand why if we can put up Santa pictures on the windows we can't put up Dreidles or Yule Logs as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Our schools here don't really "handle" them at all. They are on vacation for the major Christian Holidays and they don't acknowledge the others... They usually still have a "Winter Ball" or something for Christmas and they have "Santa's Shop" so the kids can buy mom & dad presents for the Holidays, but beyond that it's up to the individual teacher what they choose to do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I was shocked last year when my kids came home with a dreidle and wanted to have everyone play with them. Our school goes the route of teaching about each of the holidays as they come about and showing how and why different regions celebrate them differently. I really appreciate it.
    seturkey

Comment by seturkey (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• That is a rule in the school district... if you acknowledge one faith you have to acknowledge all 'major' faiths.

I went to a private Christian school as a child and they did the same thing during "religious education" you learned about what it was that other believed. Of course it was a bit different because we all believed the same thing...
    seturkey

Comment by seturkey (original poster) at 1:33 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The school in my area is having "career day" this month. A child gets to wear attire that represents their career of choice-aka COSTUMES !!! lol
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My girls go to a private Christian school, so they embrace them obviously.
    MountainMomma3

Answer by MountainMomma3 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010