What would you do if your son wanted a friend to stay over and his room was a total mess?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• This probably isn't going to be very popular but I don't care what my teens room looks like, so I personally wouldn't worry about it. If he wants his friends to see that it looks like a pig sty that's his deal. My kids spend very little time in their rooms anyway so they are typically picked up. We are always all in the living room or kitchen when we are home. Before friends can stay the house (kitchen, livingroom, bathroom) need to be picked up.
    We have kids here every day though, that have practically grown up living here, there are even times when the friends come over and help clean the house so they can stay.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:42 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• tell him to get in there and clean his room and we can talk about your friend staying....that's what i would do! lol
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Make him clean it. And make it a stipulation that if he wants friends to stay over he has to keep his room clean.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• he would need to clean his room up and then he can have guess in the home...last thing i would ever want is for people to think i am dirty or messy cuz of my kids not wanting to clean up...thats why i make sure there things are always in place...i got OCD i don't do well in mess or filth...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The friends room is probably a total mess too...most teens have messy rooms and if they don't care why should you? I remember being a teen and my friends had rooms that were so filthy it made me happy to know my room was not that bad...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Tell him it's simple - no clean room, no friends over. And my kids can't just clean the room WHEN they want friends over - they have to keep the room reasonably clean throughout the week in order to have weekend guests.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I'd have him clean his room so the friend didn't have to stay in a messy environment.
    This shouldn't be an issue though since kids should always keep their rooms tidy. Yes, mine do, even my 13 yr old.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:31 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Tell him it would be okay as long as he cleaned his room first.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• compromise with him. Have him straighten up what is most important to you and then he can have the friend over..........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• it's his room ,it's his mess. Let him have friends over, if he get's enough comments from them about the mess he will eventually clean it on his own. It has worked with everyone of my kids.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010