when does a bby start to sit

my lil girl is 3m and 3weeks old. i was wondering when will she start to sit up on her own

CandiceB53

Asked by CandiceB53 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my 7 month old can sit unassisted but can't just sit up, you have to sit her up. all babies are different though.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 2:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• my daughter started to sit up unassisted at 4 months old. I keep hearing that was really early. but the baby will start when they r ready.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• they can sit at different ages... BUT since their spine is really weak you should not let them sit up alone (straight) until they are at least 9-10 months old.

You can sit your child up for a couple seconds maybe for taking a picture or something. but other than that youre not suppose to let a child (younger than 9-10 months old) sit up.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• AVERAGE age is 6 months. Which means you can give or take a few months on either end.
    I know 10 month olds that walk, and most 8 month olds can crawl, so I'm not really sure where the 9-10 mo came from. ~~ Good luck trying to NOT let your child devlop new skills..LOL
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Averages are huge with babies but I think it happens between 4 and 10 months.... My thought is, I don't want it to happen to fast, and plus I like being able to lay her down and be on the other side of the room and know she wont be too far from where I layed her.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I'm not sure where the 9-10 month answer came from. That is riduculus! My 10 month old started WALKING at 8 months. It depends on the baby...they are all different and will sit up when they are good and ready. Definitely don't PREVENT the child from trying new things, like sitting up on her own. Encourage her to do new things :o)
    krockwell

Answer by krockwell at 9:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• You should get a Bumbo seat. They are awesome for when your little one can't sit up yet. I had one with my son and we used it all the time!
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2008