MY BABY IS 3 MO. OLD, IS HE TO YOUNG FOR CEREAL?

I BREASTFEED MY SON, BUT FOR SOME REASON I DON'T THINK HE GETS FULL CAUSE RIGHT AFTER HE LETS GO HE SUCKS ON HIS ALOT!! AND WANTS TO EAT LIKE 1 HR. LATER. SHOULD I TRY GIVING HIM A LITTLE BIT OF CEREAL IN A BOTTLE WITH BREASTMILK?

BLAN-BLAN

Asked by BLAN-BLAN at 3:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know that now a day’s doctors tell you to wait until they are 4 months old. When my dd was 3 months old I gave her cereal. I tried putting it in a bottle and it did not work very well. Once I started feeding her cereal she was much happier. I would put it in a bowl and spoon feed her. It does take patience for this. Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:45 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• well i think u should wait
    i started to give them when they were 6 month cuz this is time where u teeth starts to grow so it make sence that it is time to give them solid food and cereals
    fire

Answer by fire at 5:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I agree with the first comment. My doctor also said to wait until 4 months old, but we gave him cereal at 3 month. I would just wait to give fruit until your baby is older, and when you finally do give fruit, try one at a time to make sure you're baby doesn't have allergies (if you give a bunch in a week, and your baby has an allergic reaction, you won't know to which food he/she is allergic to)
    Smerfyjiggles

Answer by Smerfyjiggles at 7:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Make sure he is getting a complete feeding everytime he nurses, not just snacking. If he's just snacking, no wonder he's hungry an hour later. Get this book "On Becoming Babywise" by Dr.Gary Ezzo it will teach you how to get your baby on a routine to where they're eating complete meals at every feeding not just snacking, so they're nursing every 3 hours, and also so they'll sleep through the night. It worked like a charm for both of mine and for several of my friends. You can get it from www.half.com. At 3 months, cereal may constipate or upset his stomach.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:11 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I gave our oldest baby cereal when he was 3 1/2 weeks in a bottle at bed time and he slept all night before that he would be up every 1/2 hour screaming and crying. Milk wasn't enough for him. His skin was droopy. He's a healthy 18 yr old that has joined the national guards.
    momh

Answer by momh at 8:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I would wait on cereal, especially rice it can cause really bad constipation. If feel you really want to give cereal try oatmeal it is easier on their little tummies. I agree with Bethsunshine to be sure he is getting a full feeding and not just snacking. You may want to talk to a lactation consultant in your area and check out www.kellymom.com a super resource recommended by my lactation consultant.
    Syddasmom

Answer by Syddasmom at 8:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Ask your doctor. I started feeding my son cereal around 4 mo.
    noahsmom22

Answer by noahsmom22 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I would do it. My son was an eater too. We had him on oatmeal (he didn't like rice) cereal by the time he was 3 months old. I say mothers know best.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• My daughter's doctor told us 4 months but said it was fine when I did it at 3 months. I use to put a little in her bottles at night to thicken it up and she loved it. I only used rice cereal because she didn't like the others when I tried it. She started eating bowls of cereal in the morning just before 4months. I use to mix the baby bananas and made sure it wasn't too thick. She's 20 months and still loves her cereal with the bananas in the morning.
    Mrs.Vealey

Answer by Mrs.Vealey at 9:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Three months is too young for any baby to have cereal, especially a breastfed baby. The BEST thing you can do for him is to protect his digestive tract by giving him nothing but breastmilk for the first 6 months. Then, when you do offer solids, do fresh banana or avacados with a spoon. Only in very certain circumstances should cereal go in the bottle and just because he doesn't seem satisfied isn't one of them.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 9:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2008