so im getting my own apt with just me and my dd. (her dad and i split up unfortunately) but my sister is asking about living with me too...

so nxt month im going to get a 2bdrm 1bthrm apt for me n my dd. I have a whole house of furniture including my bedrm set and her entire bdrm set. The apt im getting is very cheap but alright kinda small though. My sis is talking about getting her own place with her two boys 4 and 6 months. My dd is 20 months. Idk if i want to share a small apt with 3 more ppl. Not just because there will b no room for anything we each have our own furniture but i want the independance that im supporting me and my dd on my own. I know i can affoed it and im ezxcited about a fresh start and new beginning just the two of us. What should i do? My sister can afford her own apt but would b tight on money. I feel bad but im at a major changing point in my life right now and feel i have to focus on me nd my daughter for the time being. Plz give me advice on what to say or do...

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I honestly wouldn't do it. Having roommates is always a horrible idea. You already said it's small. Do you really think you can deal with 3 more people in that tiny space? You'll never get alone time. You're right it's time to focus on your daughter and yourself. Let your sister get her own place so you can find yourself and worry about your baby girl.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It may sound fun but I'd advise against it. Start fresh with just your daughter. If you can afford it there is no reason to take on the stress of living with 3 more people.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• then let your sister get her own too.... in the long run you both will be happier... cause when it comes to having kids involved it's alot different in a living situation and you want to be comfertable in your own home... but it was a nice gester though.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Tell her what you just said, that you want independence, that you are excited about a starting fresh and that your at a major changing point and you feel the right thing to do for you to do is focus on just your daughter right now. You can do this.
    kimsardo

Answer by kimsardo at 1:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Lol, it sounds like you answered your own question in your question. I would personally advise against it, unless she had no where at all else to go. Like you sad, you want to do your own thing with your daughter and that's okay!! Having all those people in a small area is bound to cause conflict... congrats on the place!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:49 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• you worry about you and yours and let your sister figure things out for herself..it is never good to be roommates with family. I tried it with my sister it lasted 6 months and my mom tried it with her sister it lasted 3 months...once sisters grow up and move on and into real life they no longer make good housemates, then their is parenting styles and boys are much more rowdy then girls...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:50 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I know you want to help your sister but you need to help you and your dd first. I wouldn't get an apartment with roommates especially when it is that small and the number of people.. I understand they are family but sometimes you have to just stand on your own two feet
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 1:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would personally LOVE to be in that situation with my sister (seen her twice in 10 years) our kids would love to be able to be that close too. BUT it doesn't sound like its for you. I don't think you mentioned a single benifit for YOU and your child
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 2:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think you should tell your sister just what you told us. You and your DD is your main focus and that is what you need to worry about. Your sister maybe able to get place close to you but 3 kids and two adults in a two bedrooms isn't a good sitution to put yourself in. You did say your at a changing point in your life so don't allow your sister to hold you back from making the changes you have to make. You really sound like you have your plan in mind so do what you have to do for you and your DD. GL and enjoy your own place. May if your sister you you got a 4 bedroom together but i think you should do this on your own.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:26 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• be honest with her. She's your sister and its not like she is in dier need. Tell her this is something you have to do for you and yours.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 2:42 AM on Oct. 10, 2010