EXORCISM

Are Catholic Preists the only ones who do them?
If not how come they are only ones u see in the movies...not being funny but they are theonly ones I have ever heard or seen do them...

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:42 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Many religions do them but in different ways. I really don't know why the movie industry only uses the Catholic version and I too have wondered about this a lot.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:37 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My pastor does them, we are not Catholic. You know movies like to capitalize on stereotypes. lol
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:46 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Nope. I've even known of more than one "Pagan" Exorcism... In no way are evil energies or demons a "Catholic" thing, and thus, neither are Exorcisms...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Native American Holy Men or Holy Women can do them also.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• if i remember right... a true exorcism (as portrayed sort of in the movies) was developed by the catholic church. this was something that was commonly done for a while (similar to witch burnings) and because of the negative publicity about the church due to things which happened during exorcisms, the church changed their public position on them. it's been a while since i looked into this so i might be remembering totally wrong. there are other religions as mentioned above that perform spiritual cleansings that are basically the same idea (what i mean is i think the term exorcism is a catholic one but not the actual act of spiritual cleansing / removal of bad spirits - not sure if i'm expressing this well)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Nope, we Pagans have them too.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The pastor of my grandmother's Southern baptist church believed in exorcism, as do many of the "holy-roller" churches (you know, the ones where they dance and shout and roll on the floor in fits of ecstacy). I saw a program about exorcism that featured a wiccan psychic exorcist. One of my spellbooks includes an incantation for getting rid of unwanted spirits. So, no, it isn't only the catholics
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I've noticed that I seem to look at things differently sometimes which sometimes makes my feel a little weird but I'm kind of used to that. He! He! He! Getting a different point of veiw can definitely help with understanding and I'm all for that. I'm just glad that I can help and you are very welcome.

bow down

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Lol..I haven't heard any other religion speak on doin them either...so I wondered
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thx
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 3:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2010