Does anyone take their children camping?

I am talking tent in the woods no shower kind of camping? When did you start taking them?

seturkey

Asked by seturkey at 2:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Travel

• We took our first at 2 the first time (still nursing, actually weaned while we were there... nothing like having your last nursing session under the beautiful trees in yosemite!).

We got pregnant the next month and then took him and his brother the next year. The baby was about 7 months. We went with friends and there was always someone to hold him when I wasn't wearing him.

We went 3 times this year and they are 4, and 1. We went on one trip with some friends that had a 7 month old and she did the same as me... when she wasn't being worn, someone would take turns holding her. I think crawling would be the worst stage, but other than that, no reason not to take them! They get dirty, but there are worse things in the world.

Why would nursing effect going camping? Sorry, just confused on that!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We plan to but not yet - our son is 21 months. I am thinking he will be ready for tent camping in the backyard once he stops breastfeeding, and then we will move from there depending on how much he likes it. My family took us camping when we were infants - much braver than I am!!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We took our first ds tent camping at a pretty young age (can't remember), but the next year we had a trailer, but we camp at places with no showers/toilets. We also camp at ones WITH flush toilets too. We have just a small trailer - not big enough to hang out in for any amount of time!! As a matter of fact we are leaving later this week and going camping in our trailer but with NO running water/shower/electric, etc. We can't WAIT!! We have done this with each of our children - oldest was 19 mos, 2nd was 22 mos, and youngest is 26 mos. We go camping all the time and they all LOVE it and want to do more :)
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My parents started taking my sister and me when we were near 10 years old.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Started taking my son at about 18 months. Plan to take the next ASAP!
    ValerieRNmom

Answer by ValerieRNmom at 3:55 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We took my daughter just a few weekends ago. She's 13 months. There was running water (cold only) in the sinks and flushable toilets, but no showers.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Not yet, but we plan to.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 8:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• One of these days we will, but my son's only 2 and I don't want to take him until he's really able to understand everything we tell him about safety. Plus he's an escape artist, and I'm a little paranoid.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2010