Would you go live with your parents or hubbys fam to save money for a house?

I am trying to convince hubby to go live with my parents to save money to buy a house. We would help them out but it would not be nearly as much as our rent is. He says it would only bring problems, which I know. Would you do it? Have you done it? How did it work out?

ednaamelia

Asked by ednaamelia at 2:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• No I would not want to do it. Just live below your means move into a cheaper or smaller place and cut out most luxuries and you should be able to save enough for a good downpayment.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't live with my in-laws and for my parents well my parents have a huge house so we would have our own space and own everything i don't know if i would want to live back at home again i moved out of there when i was 16 for a reason why would i want to go back at 33?! To buy a home no i would live in a smaler place and watch every little penny and we would make it happen on our own. We just don't relay on ANYONE no matter who they are. When we really needed a hand no one stepped up so no way cut back on things and make this happen may take a little longer but it would be worth it in the end.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:08 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You couldn't pay ME to do it! If you did you have to realize it is their house and their rules... no thanks, I'd rather have my own.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:15 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I lived with my inlaws. It was ackward (but he had convinced me they hated me... come to find out that wasn't the truth) but we were only there for a short period between when our lease was up and I had to move for work. So for short term like 3 months you can make it work. How quick can you come up with the money lol! I woudn't live with my parents though there are too many rules (also wouldn't live with my current boyfriends parents... I love them but always feel in the way)
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 3:15 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Absolutely worst idea! We had lived with hubby's Dad and was alright up until we started having problems with his new wife-she made up things, lied and stole our belongings and then decided to convince his Dad that I was being a racist and I was horrible mother and we eventually had to move out-spending our savings on new house for an apartment because he only gave us 5 days to get out. Not true for everyone but you should be careful.
    heartsicksiren

Answer by heartsicksiren at 3:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I tried it and they definitely didn't like us there so we left after a very short time. Its a shame too because they themselves did it for 3 years and that's the only way they were able to save $ for a house. I'm stil not in a house. Our money is wasted on rent. HALF of our income goes to rent!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Never done it but I wouldn't want to.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. I feel like I'm an adult and need to pay my own way now. My parents offered to let me move in to their 3rd floor with my kids after I separated from my ex. I refused because even as a single mom, I'm a grown up and want to be the one providing for myself and my children. My parents raised me to be self sufficient, and I want to be!

Answer by missanc at 9:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• For me, it depends on the house and the family. If you have strained relations already this probablly is not a good idea. If the house is small or has a bad layout, this might not work.

If there is plenty of space, or you will be gone all day everyday, and you already get along, this could work. You should have a definate time you expect to be out, whether you reach your savings goal or not, and stick with it.

Good luck!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 9:27 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• No, the parents foot the majority of the bills. Thats not saving money thats redirecting your expenses. Find a smaller less expensive place, reduce your expenditures save the difference.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010