Here is a thought for the day

I really enjoy studying world religions for two reasons. 1. behind all the preaching they are fantastic documentation of the worlds history and I really love history and 2 is that in all the time I have spent studying I have noticed most run pretty much the same basic story lines.

most all even the religions with many gods have one main supreme power.
There is always a holy mother of some fashion
there is always a son who is reborn

One thing I have never found is a religion that says yes spread hate and intolerance in my name. So why do so many do it?
I have also wondered why the story of babel is in pretty much every religious rhetoric but no one has stopped to realize maybe what we all believe is more alike than we are taught.
If I had a time machine i think it would be interesting to see what the original religions were like back when they first formed before they were dirtied with political agendas and the the like.

wowguildmomma

Asked by wowguildmomma at 2:58 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Religious Debate

• There will always be "fanatics" when it comes to religion, politics, conspiracy theories, etc... I know it is hard for some to learn to ignore the fanatics but it is what I choose to do. Debating with a fanatic is like debating with a cement wall. Life would be better if people would learn to be tolerant of the "fanatics" and just smile and listen and move on.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:39 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Tired/old thinly veiled Christian Bashing question. Kettle, you're black.... move on!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• There is a difference between acceptance and tolerance. You love your child but I am sure you don't love every single thing he or she does. According to the bible, from which I gain my beliefs, you can hate the sin but love the sinner.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:46 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Actually, the Qu'ran DOES say this. It's the convert-or-die thing. You'll find that interesting--and probably horrifying--when you get to it. Interesting that the anon. coward took it to be christian-bashing. The bible also contains the convert-or-die scenario and many pagan tribes were slaughtered without being given the CHANCE to convert! Jesus created prosleytizing, but he never said that people should be KILLED if they refuse the message. Interesting that the christians, throughout the ages, have added in the killing part all on their own!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Interesting that the christians, throughout the ages, have added in the killing part all on their own!
    ....................................
    This made me think of Titus 1:13 This witness is true. For this very cause keep on reproving them with severity, that they may be healthy in the faith, 14 paying no attention to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn themselves away from the truth. 15 All things are clean to clean [persons]. But to [persons] defiled and faithless nothing is clean, but both their minds and their consciences are defiled. 16 They publicly declare they know God, but they disown him by their works, because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort.

PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 3:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I wonder that myself. I am like you and I love to study it. I have found the same things. I have seen the similarities that have changed over the generations to suite of course the culture. It doesn't make them any less valid or more true but also rules out only one way!!
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree with you
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• when I was a tween I was at a pow wow. when the girl next to me asked how do we know which way is the right way. And I loved the answer the chief gave, he said if you take all religions in the world and line their stories side by side you will notice that most of the stories are the same. they may not be word for word but the teaching or message is the same, and the few stories that don't match well my dear those are just stories. .... I liked this answer and I try to remember it everytime someone tell me I'm going to hell for not beleiveing the same as them, as i smile and walk away.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think people act this way because they feel the need to cause hate and separtation...I agree with you most religions teach incredably similar things but because a lot of religions teach that they are the only true religion this subject makes perfect breeding ground for ignorance and intolerance...it is very very sad
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2010