Is there anything the OBGYN can give me to make my cycles start back up?

I'm breastfeeding and we want to TTC but my cycles haven't returned. My breastfed baby is 16 months.

Is there anything the doctor can give me to make my cycles start back up or do I just have to wait it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Even if you start back up, you may not be able to conceive for some time. We started TTC when my first was 16 months and I didn't have a cycle. I got it back 2 months later at 18 months and we continued to try. We nightweaned at 24 months hoping to jump start things.... he eventually weaned at 30 months and we got pregnant exactly a month later.

Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. I was NUTS for wanting kids that close together, haha! Your body has a way of knowing what is best for you.

Don't focus on it too much, just go with the flow and enjoy the baby you have now! It will happen when it is meant to happen.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:09 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• With bfing your hormones are probably a little frazzled.. I would just wait it out and reap the benefits of not having a cycle!! If it's really important to you to get preggers soon, then I would talk to your doctor.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:43 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You CAN get pregnant while breast feeding whether your cycle has started or not. I would wait for it to return on it's own. But I don't like taking meds if I don't have to. Eating beets can help bring on your cycle though if you really want it to come back.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• This is what I have used off and on for years....I only get 1 or 2 periods a year without help. I have PCOS and ENDO.

MEDROXYPROGESTERONE-ORAL Index

GENERIC NAME: MEDROXYPROGESTERONE - ORAL (meh-DROX-ee-pro-JESS-tur-own)
    BRAND NAME(S): Amen, Cycrin, Provera
    Warning | Medication Uses | How To Use | Side Effects | Precautions | Drug Interactions | Overdose | Notes | Missed Dose | Storage

WARNING: Medroxyprogesterone is sometimes used with another medication (a type of estrogen) as combination hormone replacement therapy (HRT) in women after menopause. Combination HRT can rarely cause very serious side effects such as heart disease (e.g., heart attacks), stroke, serious blood clots (e.g., in the lungs and legs), dementia, and breast cancer. Some of these risks appear to depend on the length.....(more info... http://www.medicinenet.com/medroxyprogesterone-oral/article.htm )
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• USES: Medroxyprogesterone is a type of female hormone (progestin). This medication is similar to the progesterone that your body naturally makes and is given to replace the hormone when your body is not making enough of it. This medication has several uses. In women who are not pregnant and not going through menopause, this medication is used to treat abnormal bleeding from the uterus and to restore normal menstrual periods in women who have stopped having them for several months (amenorrhea).Medroxyprogesterone is also used as part of combination hormone replacement therapy with estrogens to reduce menopause symptoms (e.g., hot flashes). Medroxyprogesterone is added to estrogen replacement therapy to reduce the risk of cancer of the uterus.This medication must not be used to test for pregnancy.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i agree with frst reply
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010