Where can I get help?

Cafemom members, we have some mom's who are at the end of their rope. They are out of work, getting ready to loose their home, and don't know where their next meal is coming from. I suggested to talk to Churches/Communty Services. They said Churches in area are overloaded with people needing help & the Communty Service is Salvation Army who said they can't help them. No help from famlies either. Do you have any ideas for these young moms?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 3:27 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• Food stamps through the state. As a single mom, jobless and/or living below poverty level, you qualify for food stamps and medical insurance (from the state). As a young mom who in the past suffered from this, my heart goes out to any young mother struggling to provide the best for their children. They are in my prayers!
    Arielles_Mommy

Answer by Arielles_Mommy at 3:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I'd say keep trying. I am experiecing this, but I am not a young mom. I am 51, jobless and near foreclosure with 2 teens. I live in Fl. and here the social agencies are way overloaded. Oh and my 20 year marriage just ended. God Bless you. I will pray for you. I have notebooks full of #'s and keep on dialing. God help us all.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Again, I say the churches, but not just to ASK for help. Churches need help, too. Moms can reach out to churches and explain their needs, but also should offer to help the church.... during services in the nursery, ministering to those who cannot get to church, offering rides to those who need them, cleaning, cooking when needed, etc. the church may be able to help out individuals who also help the church and help themselves.

There are food banks in many places. I suggest the same as when approaching churches - ask for help but also offer help. Moms can sort food, serve food, etc. Then you will be more likely to receive help with you are helping others at the same time.

Another idea, particularly near the holidays, is to approach major employers in your area. You can ask if they have any food and toy drives you could sign up for as recipient. My employer does this.

Good luck!!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 9:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• the government is overloaded as well. Its scary how hard the fallen economy hit. I travel and I see so many people pan-handling then the cops arrest them on top of them trying to survive. Take their children and actually make things worse rather than better. I completely sympathize but that doesnt solve the problems. I guess if someone wanted to take on the endeavor and organize a foundation for such purposes complete with a trust fund governed for such purposes... it can be done. Its not to hard. You can actually google the information.Then get people to donate to the cause. But the endeavor will be enormously monumental. and a blessing. Think about it, let me know...
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:39 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The Lord's Pantry Can help with Food. you can email them at godspantry@hotmail.com They will take on who ever needs food no matter where you live they will send you a Gift card for a food store or will send food to you directly. I know this one for a FACT! you can also befriend them on facebook under Lords Pantry.
    pumpkindreams

Answer by pumpkindreams at 6:50 AM on Oct. 12, 2010