Waste of money better spent elsewhere

Here in my town one of the churches is so so so proud of the fantasitic huge building they just put up. Being pagan I am baffled at why christians waste money on such massive extravagant buildings when there are starving homeless people just 2 blocks a way, and a children's shelter a few doors from that. When I am at a religious gathering it is outdoors in what if I were a christan would be the best possible church as according to the bible god created the world himself. Why does all that money which could be used to help so many get wasted on something that you can't take with you? Why not do some good with it? I am sure lots of bashing will ensue but you have to admit is a darn good question that alot of churches should be asking. Personally if I had to attend a church I think I would rather pick the old one that puts the money tithed to glorify god than the one who just builds a bigger building to glorify themselves.

wowguildmomma

Asked by wowguildmomma at 3:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• yeah i agree with you
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 4:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I guess its the idea that the more extravagant the church the more glory it brings to God or something... I agree, though, I'd rather put money to a better use.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:37 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Helping the hungry and the homeless would be a better use of funds. Here in Fl. they did something similar with a courthouse. Are you kidding me? People are losing homes and jobs left and right and you are wasting on this. Great question.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I'm Christian and I agree as well. For one thing Jesus often taught outside. But I do realize that you do need shelter sometimes and when a church grows with people they often build a bigger building. But, if it were me, I'ld probably just hold more meetings. I like smaller congregations anyway. It's not about the building but the teaching for me.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 6:01 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Sometimes they are big because they have a lot of members, just the fact that it is big can make it look extravagant. but they are trying to make room for the members.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I worked at a large church for several years and got to listen in on quite a few decisions regarding budget. It was pretty disgusting and evident that alot of the spending was for show. They used to take in more every Sunday on the plate and in pre-scheduled contributions than my annual salary. They balked at paying employees (my job was to communicate all their news about events and all the great things the church did - how ironic) that kept the church functioning (except the favorite ministers who brought them prestige). They had fabulous missions programs - but of course that is only for the people they chose to help and who would listen to their messages. They worked in food kitchens but only the ones they set up. They found it important to replace the three-year old $5 mil organ with a $10 mil one since they had a prestigous organist. It was disgusting, as I said.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:58 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• lol and i just remembered - the water that came out of the tap where the coffee machine was located was brown if the hot water was used. the 90-something retired minister that worked there part time used to make the coffee every morning so i didn't know until he got sick... i started having really bad stomach problems shortly after beginning to work there. they stopped when we stopped using the hot water. the pipes in that building desparately needed to be replaced - but this was not their concern even though i'm sure it would have cost a small fraction of the new organ... or the $20,000 welcome center they had built - basically an information desk with two stands for posters and an expensive logo attached - the logo file was something that was part of my job too... this was a hard place to work when i was barely making above poverty wage.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It is because man's greed has taken precedence over the values taught by Christ. :-(
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I am a Christian and my family left our church when the groundbreaking ceremony consisted of donation REQUIREMENTS to attend the kick-off to their get this: $90 MILLION dollar new church building!!! ALL  in a town of 25,000 people who have been hit hard with no jobs, so lots of people (at the encouragement of the church) inquired about jobs to help build, right? Only thing was - your time was a VOLUNTARY position!!  Yup that's right - you wouldn't even get paid!! That fricken sucked! At the time, my family and I were HOMELESS and DH desperately needed a job! We never even got an answer about whether or not he could use that volunteer time on his resume' or as a reference. No thanks!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i wonder how much a manhattan mosque will cost...
    anyhoo, here's a thought: if the church is big enough to produce the 'need' for a new building, no matter how unfancy it is-there will always be those of you who think they misspent their funds....did they ask non-members for donations? do they have community programs of welfare-outreach? are they faithful to those? if they didn't have members donating, they wouldn't be able to rebuild or beautify what they have..i'm guessing no one is holding anyone's checkbook hostage.
    bottom line: if you disagree with what that church (or any church, as in babylove's example) is doing, DON"T ATTEND! (kinda like gay marriage, eh?)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2010