how can I discipline my 2 yr old when she bites my 4 yr old?

So my 2 yr old will be 3 in a few days, she has been biting recently. Today she bit her brother, she was teasing him and using his chair, they started fighting over the chair, even though they have the same exact chair. They ended up on the same chair both sitting halfway on and off the chair. I tried to seperate them, I was too late and she leaned into her brother's face and bite him by his eye. I picked her up and put her in her bedroom. I said 'you are in time out for 2 minutes for biting'. I closed the door, she cried and cried, I wanted to let her out, but I didn't know what else I can do to discipline her.

itsamomsworld98

Asked by itsamomsworld98 at 3:50 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't put her in her room unless she is still in a crib, but time out is what I would do. As soon as it happens, get face-toface with her and say in your best strict mamma voice "No bitting" and place her in time out. When the 2 minutes is up she needs to apologize to her brother.
    Good luck
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Time outs take a while to kick in. I tend to also take toys away as well. Or in a situation like this, because she bit her brother I would have made sure she knew that meant she gave up the chair to her brother because of her behavior (plus the 2 minute time out, and an apology after her time out).

If she knows that bitting will actually make her lose it completely for the day, then she'll stop instigating and stop biting. Yes for things like this I take the toy away from her for the day. (I started with an hour, but found it was better to take it away for the day to prevent less fighting, besides they have plenty of other toys. Missing one toy for a day isn't a big deal, but if she is REALLY bad I will put them in her toy room for the day and lock it up until she can prove she's calmed and mellowed and ready to play right).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2010